Breast milk for adults?

I know this will probably spark some nasty responses, but it's something that interests me.

We all know how breast milk can benefit a growing baby, with eye and brain development and all the help with immunities. But could it provide the same for an adult?

I'm curious about this because I am getting ready to have my second child, and plan to breast feed her. Not that long ago, my husband suffered a major concussion and it resulted in some brain damage. The damage is not debilitating, but it does cause him some problems.

I've heard stories of breastmilk being used to fight cancer and cure HPV warts in adults. And since one of its functions is to help develop the brain in an infant, would it be possible to use it to help repair the brain of an adult? I'd be willing to try, but I'm also looking for some feedback and input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• Um, unless there are stemcells in the milk I really dont' see it as anything but hype. I know it's weird, but I have no problem with milk from a cows teets but no way would I have milk from a womans boob lol. Doesnt' make sense I know, but that's my opinon.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Hmmm maybe? I'm not sure.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would say give it a try. It couldn't hurt.

zakysmommy~ Stem cells have been found in breastmilk.  http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20081102-16879.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Oh really Mama? That's so cool. Never knew that. I love learning stuff. If that is the case then yes I think BM could be very beneficial. But I would think that in cases of Brain injury it would have to be placed almost directly in the injured spot vs. traveling through the digestive tract. But who knows?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I remember reading an article about a woman who pumped her breastmilk for her Dad who had (I want to say) cancer, and his health actually did improve after long time consumption of the milk.
    Anonymous

• Your breastmilk isn't liquid gold. It's made specifically for your offspring. Giving it to anyone else won't do anything.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Here is the article about the woman who pumped breast milk for her dad who had cancer.

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/04/21/daughter-helps-dad-fight-cancer-by-breastfeeding-him/

It can't hurt to try. Worst case- he gets some immune boosting. Since breast milk composition changes as the baby gets older, you might want to do a little research and compare nutrients at different stages.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Actually, legalmommy, that's not exactly correct...there's been a lot of preliminary research into the benefits of breastmilk for cancer patients. http://cancer.suite101.com/article.cfm/use_of_human_milk_as_cancer_therapy

It's fascinating stuff.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Stem cells come from bone marrow in your thigh. There are great products thast take the persons cells from the thigh and directs them to the place that needs it most. Im not sure about the breast milk, tho.
    Anonymous