What is your 5 month-old's sleeping schedule like?

I'm looking to nail down a more predictable schedule for our almost-5-month-old. Our schedule varies somewhat from day to day and on the weekends - we have a 2-year-old, so how can it not? The thing that throws off our baby is that she has trouble napping at home, but sleeps great in the car. So the timing of her naps largely depend on when we're in the car. This is fine for most days, but makes it very difficult to stay home without having to spend a lot of time and effort getting her to sleep for her naps.

Further, she goes to sleep at night at 7:30, usually waking at 10:30 and 4:00, and then again at about 6:30. If I don't go in, (or just go in for brief checks) she can cry for 2 hours sometimes (NOT fun in the middle of the night). I end up nursing her back to sleep but I know she's not hungry and am weary of creating sleep associations with nursing.

Maybe she's getting too much sleep at night? Suggestions? Thanks!

MammaAmy

Asked by MammaAmy at 7:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about you but 7:30 pm to 6:30 am would be a miracle. my DS goes down around 11 and sleeps until aobut 6. thats it. then he gets a 2 hour morning nap, he doesn't sleep much- but I don't remember ever being a sleeper either so he probably is like me.
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Every baby's sleep schedule/needs is going to be different. At 5 months, mine were all sleeping between 10-12 hours/night straight through and then taking 2-2 hour naps and one 1 hour nap. My youngest I remember most clearly - he woke up around 7, went down for nap from 8:30-10:30, up until 1:30 then napped until 3:30, up until 5:30 then nap until 6:30, bedtime was between 7:30-8:30 at that point.
    I have 3 older kids, but I did my best to be home during his nap times and work my older kids schedules around that. It wasn't easy considering how much he slept, but him having a very predictable schedule did work very well, because I knew when to plan things and when not.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• She sounds 100% NORMAL. You're not doing anything wrong, except possibly in expecting anything different!

My answer to your question is, "Sleep? What's that?" Yours sleeps more regularly than mine EVER did.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My daughter has been a wonderful night-time sleeper since about 7 weeks old (doctor told us we were lucky). She does not nap worth a damn though and never really has even as a newborn. When she was 5 months old, I think her sleep schedule was 8:30pm to anywhere from 6:30-8:00am (without waking up fussing or crying throughout the night). We have had to adjust over the months because of lack of naps and a very over tired, cranky baby towards evening. She is 11 months now and sleeps 7:30pm to 8:00am without waking (if she does wake, she does not make any sounds).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Wow, thanks all. I forgot to add that she sometimes cries up to 2 hours in the middle of the night or when I put her down, although usually she only fusses for a few minutes. Okay, so we did Ferberize her for night-time already (please don't throw rocks at me - my sanity was at stake and I do have another child!) and night time has improved for the most part, but some nights are still like "old times" - awake every 2 hours. I'm just in complete turmoil and have very little patience left. Stuff is piling up around me literally! I wonder if I'm keeping her in her crib for too long at night and as a result she's not tired enough to fall asleep in her crib for naps, but too tired to function properly throughout the day. I just don't know how I can keep her up any later; by 7:30 or 8:00, I'm ready for bed and she's very cranky. A late nap would help...if she'd only fall asleep. Sigh.

I know... "This too shall pass"
    MammaAmy

Answer by MammaAmy at 2:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Your 5 month old is still getting up that often during the night? Wow. My son is 2 months and sleeps an average of 10 hours during the night without waking. He takes 2-3 naps during the day, a few hours each time. Last night he went down at 10 p.m. and slept 'til 7:30. It's now two hours later and he's fixing to take a nap. Good luck and hang in there.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2010