When buying a house

I found a moblie home posted on Craigslist for $4000. I e-mail and get a reply telling me pics coming soon. When pics are posted they raised the price to $5000. If I buy it will I have to pay taxes on it or a fee to transfer the deed?

Krys_mathews

Asked by Krys_mathews at 8:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well first I would tell them you posted it for $4000 and that is what I am paying. I would worry that they uped the price. Who is to say the will not do that again. The other stuff I don't know. Not trying to sourn rude here. I just don't want you to get into a mess. Make sure you see the house in person and meet the person up front. I just had a friend that was going to rent a house off of craigslist and she got pictures and he told her the address. They decided to drive by and look one day and they saw someone home. Went to the door and explain about the listing and they had responded to it. The person had a shoked look and told them they had just sold there house. So the found out this person was going around using picture off the internet and getting money from people because they never looked and had no place to live. I hope I explained that all right.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Agree with PP, the people selling this sound sneaky. Doesn't mean you can't go for it, but do you have someone who can go with you to see it and meet the owners? Preferably a man. Also, don't make any agreements that aren't in writing with a signiature and a witness. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• A couple of things.. in some states buying a mobile or 'manufactered' home you have to pay 1 full years taxes at the time of the sale. WHERE is the home? If in a park/MH community what is the space rent. If not will you be moving the mobile home or are they selling you the land too? 4K sounds like it it a pit that must have major problem and probably very old. Mobile homes required A LOT more yearly maintenance than a regular home.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's in a owner community there is still lot rent to pay.
    Krys_mathews

Answer by Krys_mathews at 11:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I didn't mean for my post to sound the way it reads. My son, the really super stubborn "I'm going to do it my way" son, bought a mobile home on a lot of land in BF nowhere rural Texas. Aside from the hideous wallpaper it basically is in decent shape for being 20 years old. It does and will continue to require a lot of work and upkeep. He paid 18000 for his. It is a single wide but 70 something feet long. 3 bedroom 2 baths. Land is NOT expensive where he bought this. The estimated value of the home itself is approximately 12000. That is why I said what I did about the 4k. I bet there are serious major issues going on. At minimum,,,if you go see it and like it...spring for an inspecter that works for you to check the place out. They will charge about 300 or so but they will check out the root, AC/Heat, flooring, plumbing...etc. No matter when or what kind of home you buy pay for an inspecter..it can save you thousands.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2010