substitutions....

I'm going to bake chocolate chip cookies, the recipe calls for 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I'm out of brown sugar and when I went to target this evening they were out too (getting hit by an ice storm tonight so people have gone crazy and stocked up on food) So my question could I just do 1 and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar or wouldthat completely ruin my cookies?

collinsmommy_06

Asked by collinsmommy_06 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I just read that brown sugar is sugar and molasses so if you have molasses you can use that or it also says raw sugar. I know Target carries raw sugar. It says without brown sugar your cookies will be dry

Answer by admckenzie at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Do you have any molasses? Brown sugar is just white sugar with a bit of molasses. If you do I would just add use the amount of sugar it calls for, so 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar and add one tsp of molasses. If you don't have the molasses I would still just add the 1 1/2 cups of sugar. It won't ruin them. They will have a slightly different taste, but still be good.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Thank you. :) I will do the molasses.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• try 1/4 cup of honey instead of 1/2 cup brown sugar.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You need the brown sugar or the cookies won't turn out right and they will taste blah.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Actually they turned out pretty good using molasses. Thanks for the advice.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2010