Can my daughter (4) and I share a room in Virginia, legally?

I am looking to move to another apartment for a short time and need to know if it is legal for my 4yr old daughter to share a room. This will likely be a temporary arrangement since I am looking to move out of town in the next few months. I have googled it, but can't find anything. I have looked on the Department of Social Services website, but can only find information pertaining to residential facilities, not families. Anyone have any ideas or know if this is legal?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 8:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Its legal as long as you and the child are the same sex. I know that a boy and a girl child cant share a room past 7.
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 8:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• No it is fine a bedroom can occupy 2 people and you are both of the same sex, so there is not legal issue there at all.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I know that a boy and a girl child cant share a room past 7.

according to whom?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I live in va and my best friend is a apartment manager. there right as long as its 2 people and the same sex. You cant have a one bedroom with a mom/dad and a baby over 18 months. But you fine girl. He cant touch you!
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 9:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I do believe though, that you will have to have a separate bed for her. I asked here because we have our daughter in our room until we move into a bigger place (next week) so I wanted to know. I was told that I couldn't have her in there with my husband and I past the age of 2, but if that became a problem, my husband could move into my son's room and my daughter and I could stay in the same room. It was just the 3 people. You can call anonymously and ask if you are really concerned.
    Anonymous

• I think so, but I had a 2 diff 1 bedroom apartments and in the 1st the iving room was big and had a side corner that i set up as his room, the second didnt so he has the room and i slept on the couch, but he is a boy.......
    I think it should be fine though, but maybe get bunk beds or 2 beds only so that your ex cant use sharing a bed against you
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• CALL CPS to find out for sure. I know that in Wisconsin, it is illegal for opposite sex kids to share a room after 5 years old. Not sure about parents. You could always give her the bedroom and you sleep on the couch, especially if it will be a temporary thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I see questions like this so much...sheesh...ok..there are NO LAWS that prohibit who can share a room. End of story. NONE! In any state!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I shared not only a room but a queen sized bed with my grandma till I was 14 yrs old. There's no law against it. If you dont believe me, call the family services office & ask them. They will probably laugh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The laws that pertain to parents sharing room with the opposite sex refer to foster children and/or adopted children. There is no law that can tell a parent to not share a room with their own child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2010