????

WHen i dont breastfeed for about 6hours my breast gets really sore is this normal? I have a 3 week old and i breastfeed and bottle feed her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, very normal. When I get that way, I hand express some milk until I get relief (I don't have a pump). I don't express it all, because I don't want my system to think I NEED that much milk. Just enough to take the pressure off. I've heard cold compresses or warm compresses, or even cabbage, but that just doesn't make sense to me when the problem is so easy to relieve. Good luck, and be thankful you have TOO MUCh milk rather than not enough! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You are sore because you are engorged with milk. You should nurse or pump.
    Anonymous

• Oh yes, when I went more than 2 hours mine would fill and get huge and hard and hurt soooooo bad. It is totally normal you are just full and it hurts.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This is normal.

I would use a breast pump and store the milk for later use.

You can buy a cream/ointment for the soreness. Talk to you pharmacist, they can help you. It is safe by the way.
    Anonymous

• This is very normal. I used to nurse and if my daughter didn't nurse every two or so hours I would hurt like crazy. I would usually pump, but if I couldn't I'd use a warm wash cloth or cabbage to make it better. The cabbage sounds dumb, I know, but it actually made me drip until I felt better almost like hand compressing it out. That also works. It gets better with time when their schedule starts to change when they get older. Good Luck!
    sallygrl02

Answer by sallygrl02 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Oh, yes. And going that long could lead to mastitis so beware.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• As a babysitter for a BF mom, please pump and freeze. Nothing scares me more than mom leaving and I have to depend on her to be back quickly in order to not have a meltdown. She does freeze for me now (got this cool nursing bottle) and it eases MY anxiety, LOL!

My sister used cabbage leaves, she put them in the freezer and it helped her a lot! Sorry you're sore. :(
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2010