How to I get my 1&1/2 yr old to stop taking off her diaper!!!????

My daughter is 20months and keeps taking her diaper off....i have tried pull ups and she now knows how to take off her pants and pull ups completely. She will be playing in her room and i will go in there and there will be poop all over!!!!! I don't know what to do, I bought a potty for her but she doesn't get the concept at all. And I don't know how to discipline her for it because I never catch he doing it.

brittyleigh89

Asked by brittyleigh89 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put her in the footed sleeper pajamas but put those on backwords. So the zipper is in the back...that is what i did...I also heard duct tape works...

GL

Been there!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We trained my daughter at this age... she didn't get the potty concept either until we took away diapers, stayed home for a few days, and moved her to the potty each time she started to have an accident... you could try that. Other than that I'm at a loss!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Put her in a diaper and duct tape it closed.
    Scold her when she poops in her room. Even if you didn't see it happen, show her the mess and tell her "we don't do this" "
    Anonymous

• I would say she is ready to potty train then, you just have to stay diligent and frequently take her into the bathroom to go, she will get it eventually. Get excited! Get HER excited about potty training. Otherwise, you can just snap on a onesie and that should help her. Honestly all kids go through this, may not make the messes that she is, but they still do. I know it's tough but keep your eyes on her so that she doesn't get a moment to sneak away and make those messes! I know with my son's that is hard because you still have to get some stuff done and you know that she will be fine to play by herself. My oldest was a pain in the butt to get him to poop in the potty, because we trusted him and he was sure enough find a corner and stand there and go...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Anonymous
    Put her in a diaper and duct tape it closed.
    Scold her when she poops in her room. Even if you didn't see it happen, show her the mess and tell her "we don't do this"

Seriously? I hope you were kidding about the duct tape...geesh....otherwise I wouldn't yell at this child, potty training is a fun but equally challenging time and I would not want to scold her into thinking that she should not poop at all....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Duct tape. I've done it. I really don't think that this alone means she's ready for potty training. All three of my boys went through this stage at around 18 months, and none were potty trained for at least a year later. It's not like you have to wrap the tape around, just put a strip over the tabs so she can't open the diaper herself, it shouldn't touch her skin at all.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have the same problem. Footy pajamas and duct tape or any type of strong tape. With the tape make sure you wrap it around their waist at least once and the end of the tape is in the back, my son cannot get his off since I have done this.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My mom had to duct tape my older sister's diaper closed. She (mom) was potty training my sister and she (sister) just wouldn't keep her diaper on. So my parents put a small piece of duct tape across the tabs to keep her from getting it off.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We used the footed pj's trick on my first DD and it was the only thing that kept me from having to change her sheets every day after her nap and again every morning. When it was too hot for the pj's, I made sure to put a diaper and cover on (We used cloth most of the time) and then put a second cover on backwards so she couldn't reach the velcro. A few times, I tried snapping her onesie and then also pinning it with a diaper pin that had the safety closure that she couldn't open.
    I never resorted to duct tape, but I did scold her for taking the diaper off. Every time she did it (before my friend gave me the pj's tip) I made sure DD knew I was not happy about it, and I very sternly told her that the only place we put poop and pee is in a diaper or the potty.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If she isnt ready to potty train, try cloth diapers with pins or snaps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2010