4 weeks pregnant with a horrible cold

I found out I'm pregnant a few days ago and I've had a cold along with other pregnancy symptoms but my cold is very very bad what can I take for it that won't harm the baby

bxmommy2be

Asked by bxmommy2be at 8:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have a list from my dr and for a cold you can take sudafed, actifed,robitussin, lozenges , saline nasal spray. do not use the sprays from more then 2 days also if you temp gets over 101 call your dr.... i have a list for all sorts of things that my dr gives us from the min we find out we are preg if you need to know meds you can take for other things send me a message
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You can't really take anything. You can do a few things to help.

1. A neti pot sinus wash is really awesome and safe for your whole pregnancy and is totally drug free. Wal Mart even sells them in the pharmacy if you don't have one.
    2. drink a lot of fluids-- juices, broth, water-- avoid milk and thick mucousy things
    3. try to rest. I know there is no time for sleep when you work.
    4. Emergen-C vitamin drink mix will rescue you. You just pour it in some water and drink it. It tastes very good and has stuff you and the baby need any way. No caffeine.

Many Tylenol products have been recalled.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I just took 2 tylenols and put some vapor rub on my chest, is that ok??? I just feel so sick I can't sleep and think I gotta fever
    bxmommy2be

Answer by bxmommy2be at 9:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2010