Help My 22 month old just had an accident ....

My 22 month old daughter was playing in her room and my husband called from work ,so I was talking to him on the phone. I heard a sound like something fell or she fell or hit her head on something it was not loud it was just bonk....she started crying like she was hurt so i ran in there picked her up and she stopped crying i did not notice anything wrong with her until about a min. later she touched the back of her head and said ouch so i looked and she has curly hair behind her little curls was a big pump not on the back of her head with a gash in it and it is barely bleeding but i dont know if i should take her to the doctor or not she is not crying she is not acting sleepy but keeps tilting her head to the side for some reason what should i do ?? this happened like 5 mins ago and she is running around playing right now

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you know if she fell from a high stop... they say that if there is a bump that is a good sign... if there is an indentation then immediately go to the ER. If she is acting lethargic, and unresponsive I would take her in. But you said she is running around happy. Kids are really durable, but if you feel uneasy at all just go in. It isn't worth a sleepless night up worrying. Can you check to see if her pupils are dilated? My 18mo has hit is head so many times... he is such a boy! Those goose-eggs pop up and it has never been a problem. hope she feels better.
    Anonymous

• I personally would take her to the hospital, just to check her out, as things aren't always visible.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• hurry take her to the er she could have internal bleeding!!!!!
    yhalissa

Answer by yhalissa at 9:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• sounds like it's probably ok- I would just keep an eye on her
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think the real concern would be a concussion. if she's active, not vomitting, eyes are normal and isn't falling asleep, I would just watch her. you know what was in the room that she could have hit/landed on and probably anything that would have the kind of inpact to cause internal issues would either be deeper looking or just more serious and have an effect on her behavior. Of course if you aren't comfortable, nobody would blame you for taking her in, but I would call first and see what they have to say, maybe to a prompt care.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• She is probably okay. Just a big bump. Watch her for any abnormal behavior and give her some tylenol for the pain. She should be fine. I would say try and ice her head, but she probably wouldn't like that one bit.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2010