Help My 22 month old just had an accident ....

My 22 month old daughter was playing in her room and my husband called from work ,so I was talking to him on the phone. I heard a sound like something fell or she fell or hit her head on something it was not loud it was just bonk....she started crying like she was hurt so i ran in there picked her up and she stopped crying i did not notice anything wrong with her until about a min. later she touched the back of her head and said ouch so i looked and she has curly hair behind her little curls was a big pump not on the back of her head with a gash in it and it is barely bleeding but i dont know if i should take her to the doctor or not she is not crying she is not acting sleepy but keeps tilting her head to the side for some reason what should i do ?? this happened like 5 mins ago and she is running around playing right now & i still dont know what caused it in her room the only thing it could be would be her toy box

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• don't put her to sleep , dont' give her a drink for an hour. wait for about an hour she what will happen and put some ice pack on the bump
    jjfaraon

Answer by jjfaraon at 9:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Check her very carefully all over. Make sure you did not miss anything. Don't let her sleep for about 2 hours. Go to the pharmacy and get the liquid that stops bleeding. Give her some children's pain reliever like ibuprofen. Keep an eye on her. She should be OK. My son CRACKED HIS HEAD WIDE OPEN and had to have 5 stitches. He did not even cry. He is fine by the way. He fell backward oin the concrete playground. He is now 15 years old and fine.
    Anonymous

• You need to check her eyes to make sure she doesn't have a concussion. You use a flashlight. She won't like it. But the iris of the eyes should get smaller in the light. If they do not, or if they get bigger and smaller inconsistently flipping back and forth, then you need to get her in.
    Keep an ice pack on the bump to help with the swelling. It will be okay. These things do happen. You can't watch them 24/7. I hope you know that you are still a good mother. Don't beat yourself up over this. That is not helpful to anyone.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would call her Dr. an ask what they suggest...Hope she is ok.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You should be able to call the nurse hotline or your after hours call line at the doctor's office. I would do that and talk to her doctor. Someone that knows her history. My daughter once tripped over the rug and hit her head on the hardwood floor. I called the doctor just to be sure she was safe.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2010