Atheists, agnostics, non-believers

What goes through your mind when you see questions here regarding prophecies and the end of the world?
How would you like to answer those questions?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 9:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think of all the myriad times in the past that *THE END* has been predicted, the date set and passed, and yet humanity continues on. I think end-time prophesies are a way for some leaders to instill fear in their believers so that they will do the leader's will. I think some people have a pyschological need to be afraid (think roller coasters and scary movies) so they buy in to the hype. And, unfortunately, when the deadline for *THE END* comes and goes (December 2012, for example), people will latch on to the next end of the world prophecy(ies).  For myself, I'm going to act as if the world is going to continue on its merry way as it's done for millions of years and since I might die today or tomorrow, I'm not going to waste precious energy worrying about a cataclysm that in all probability isn't going to happen anyway.

FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 11:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• history repeats itself.
    Anonymous

• Because I've been conditioned by society to fear that crap, there's a tiny bit of me that goes into panic mode when I read it.

But then the rational, adult part of me steps in and gives the rest of me a swift bitchslap.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think it's sad that people live in such a state of end of the world anticipation. I think it's horrible that people are so busy looking for the "signs" of the end, instead of living their lives.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I generally stay out of them since I do not believe any of it is valid beyond the point of an observant philosopher putting "history repeats itself" or another observation of the actions of man into vague enough words for it to be interpreted many differnet ways.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• now I am not atheist, agnostic or a non believer, but when I see questions about spells and things I don't believe in I just say not a question for me. I read them to learn a little. But nothing major goes through my mind. I am secure in my own faith.
    Anonymous

• I think it's horrible that people are so busy looking for the "signs" of the end, instead of living their lives.

I asked one of the quesitons and I didn't ask it "instead of" living my life I asked it in addtion to living my own life. I think it is sad you find it sad that people want to learn.
    Anonymous

• asked one of the quesitons and I didn't ask it "instead of" living my life I asked it in addtion to living my own life. I think it is sad you find it sad that people want to learn. "

Then I wasn't referring to you and I'm happy to hear it!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• you don't know who you were referring to and when you read them you make an assumption.
    Anonymous

• you don't know who you were referring to and when you read them you make an assumption. "

I read the question and answered it; sorry you didn't like my answer:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010