parents of adhd kids...

I posted this ? earlyer and got some great feed back, I was just hoping there were maybe more moms in my situation on line now that could give me some more feed back. - thanks :)
my son is on vyvnace, he doesn't sleep. I don't hink its the meds b/c its a reoccuring issue, but it is BAD right now. Dr. thinks it might be the meds. But he can NOT go to school unmedicated.
Anyone have experience with this? What did you do? What meds didnt cause a sleeping problem?
(If left to his own devices he wont crash unil at least 2 am, and when put to bed once he falls asleep he wakes up several times in the night)
I am sleep deprived. I want to do whats best for him, but I am stuck not knowing what that is.
THANKS

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have adhd and I had that problem that means that the med is too strong. I had to break my med in half and take it in the morning b4 i went to school and right after i got home. It helped alot until i got the addreall (miss spelled) that had the time realsing capsule. I would take it and the 6 ours later,i think it was 6 hrs, it would realse another dosage,
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My son has been on Vyvanse for over a year and has NEVER had an issue with sleeping while on it. This is the only meds that he didn't have a sleeping problem. He has had no problems on this med. I really don't think it's the meds. My son takes the meds between 7-8 am and goes to sleep between 9-10pm. Maybe the dose is too high for him. Or something else could be going on, especially if it is an ongoing issue.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• 8 weeks to become effective?? So what in the mean time??
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2010