I used proactive for 2 months and found out I shouldn't be using it BF

My skin has been breaking out so bad due to hormones from BF and staring my period again a few months ago.... so I tried proactive.... only to find out 2 months later from a dermatologist I shouldn't be using it BF. I didn't know or think to inquire about it because it was topical and only thought I had to be concerned with oral medications. Did I hurt my 10 mo dd using this while BF? And also, what can I do now to help my skin clear up? (My dermatologist was kind of a d*ck and didn't help me much)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From kellymom.com:
    "Proactiv is considered compatible with breastfeeding and is a more preferable acne treatment for nursing moms than oral antibiotics. The active ingredient in the Proactiv products is benzoyl peroxide...Over-the-counter topical acne medicines containing benzoyl peroxide or salicyclic acid are considered compatible with breastfeeding. Per Thomas Hale, PhD (author of Medications and Mothers' Milk), "The transcutaneous absorption of both of these drugs is minimal to nil. Peroxides, even if absorbed, would be instantly metabolized in the body and would not be able to reach the milk compartment."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• it's not recommended for breastfeeding because they don't know what will happen. Your daughter should be fine. If I don't use products like proactive and such, I look like I'm 15 and going through puberty instead of almost 30.
    Anonymous

• I have horrible rosacea, and adult acne... I have used it, and while BF. we have had no ill effects. like pp said, that is the disclaimer because they do not KNOW what it will do- but I see it this way, if a woman on xanax can "safely breastfeed"... I will not freak out about topical skin care.

you can also use things like tretree oil to spot treat... the world will not end, unless you eat completely whole organic foods, you eat much worse every day that you have been putting on your face.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you & your dd will be perfecly fine if you continue using it. Since it's topical, so little of the medication would actually be absorbed into your body, and even less would be passed on to your baby (if it is passed through breastmilk at all). Besides, at 10 months, it's likely that her nursing has decreased a bit from when she was a newborn and she is probably starting to get more and more nutrition from solid foods. I wouldn't worry about using it, but you can contact La Leche League and ask a leader to look it up in Thomas Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk" book: 877-4-LA-LECHE
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Ive always had really bad skin and as of late i have not been scrubbing and using acne medication. All I have been doing is moisturizing and to my surprise my skin started to clear up. I started by putting olive oil on my skin (i actually thought this was a bad idea but i tried it anyway) and it helped a little but i was shiny! then I was putting on "a perfect world" by origins and now my face and neck are just about clear it took a month or two and i still get a random zit but way better than everything else I ever tried Including proactive!
    ChaseyVance

Answer by ChaseyVance at 9:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You can use Proactiv. Topicals are only a concern when they go on your nipples.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2010