When do their days and nights get switched back around and how do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• According to the books, about six weeks. BUUUT, every baby is different, despite what the books say! I'd say it happens slowly over a period of time. I know it's controversial, but I'm a fan of a flexible schedule during the day. I started out with a 2.5 hour schedule, then to 3. My baby learned to expect feedings at specific times, and no longer cried for them, except on rare occasions (in which case I fed him). Then I leave him alone to sleep at night. When he does wake up, I the lights low (before I learned how to do it all in the dark). I don't talk to him or play with him during that time, just keep the stimulation to an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM! I think what happens is when a baby learns to depend on regular feedings and not demand them, then he's less likely to do it at night. He still will, but he'll learn there's a difference between night and day. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This is based souly on parent and child. My children never had their days and nights turned around, whereas my sister and her child both did when my niece was born. My son woke up 2-3 times a night to feed, but easily went back to sleep. He had no troubles with staying awake during the day either as he got older. My daughter woke up once a night when she was first born and at 2 months started sleeping through the night. She is now three months, and since she was three months old she has stayed awake 10-20 minutes between feedings. Now it is more like 20-30 minutes depending on the day.

For most children once they hit the three month stage they should be kept awake more during the day. Distracted by toys, a playmate, their parent playing with them. The more they're awake during the day, the longer they sleep at night.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You wait patiently

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• With my kids, I woke them up every 3 hours to eat during the day then let them sleep as long as they would at night. Also during the day I would play with them, sing to them, lights on, etc. and then the opposite at night, just long enough to nurse and change diaper then back to bed. Waking them to eat every 3 hours during the day also helped ensure that they were getting maximum calories during the day, so needed less at night.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• they do it on tehir own you can do stuff to help. like during the moring have seounds and lights and at nite make it very quiet. it works for some kids but no others,. my 1st sklep thru the niter at 2 mts. my seocnd at 8 mts. it really depends on the baby
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• They do it on their own by about 4-5 weeks. My older son was born distinguishing his nights from his days. My younger son did not distinguish between them at all until he was about 4 weeks old.

You can help them make the distinction though. During the day I made sure to maintain the normal daytime noise levels. I also opened the blinds in his room or had him sleep in a play pen in the living room. When he woke up, we'd interact with him, play with him etc. If he was sleeping a stretch during the day that was longer than 3 hours, I'd wake him to feed him. At night we had a bedtime routine before bed. I put him to sleep in a dimly lit room and let him sleep as long as he wanted to. When he woke I fed him, but did not interact with him and did not turn the lights on. I only changed him if I really needed to. If he didn't fall back to sleep after eating, I kept things quiet and dark and didn't interact with him.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 10:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2010