Do you think it is laziness on the parents part if a 4 years old is not potty train.

My daughter was 2 and was potty train. It took us only 3 days to potty train her. I do not understand how a 4 years old is out potty train.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes for the most part, if the kid isn't delayed in any other way i would say it is. my cousin's son was potty trained after my aunt's son that was developmentally delayed...seriously just lazy there.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yep. Unless there is a physical or developmental delay. I think it's pretty ridiculous. My son has Asperger's and he was still completely trained WAY before that.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 10:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree with angevil53

Answer by admckenzie at 10:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It took me til 16 days before my son turned 4 to potty train him. Not from laziness! Every kid is different!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• YES! i agree completely! Unless the child has some kind of learning disability or handicap there is absolutely no reason a child should not be potty trained by four. Even three for that matter. my daughter was potty trained by three, it may have took a good part of year two to complete, but it was done. i remember my niece wasnt potty trained by 3 and it was very odd and off put changing a child with legs that longs diaper! its inexcusable on the parents part.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 10:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• for the most part they should be potty trained before they turn four. Now that said that are always underlying issues that can change that statement. I have only had to help with others kids in pottytraining. The latest we were still working on a child was after 3, but finally figured out she was scared to death of the toilet since the babysitter was spanking her if she had an accident, and she associated that with the potty. We finally bribed her to use it with an m&m and finally after a week of me and grandma during the day we got her potty trained. And from what I hear from others Boys are harder than girls.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I am NOT changing diapers till my son is 4! There is nooooo reason for it1
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• No it is not laziness, every child trains in their own time. some children are simply not ready and some parents prefer not to push the issue until their child is ready.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Generally speaking yes. However, in some cases it is the child who is not willing to train, or cannot comprehend the need to train. Generally speaking though it is the parents who are consistant with their child. It can be a rustrating experience and some children are more stuborn and forceful against training then your child was. I know a few parents who didn't train their child until late, because some believe a child cannot understand what they're being taught. I think that's wrong, but some people do believe that. Some parents also just give up, because they become frustrated when their child doesn't get it within the first few tries. It can be a very trying experience. Again, generally speaking it is laziness.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I havent had a problem with this, but my ds pediatrician said that boys can take 'til age 5! (He had brought it up because my ds had a speech issue for a while and was worried that I might try pushing him - which I didnt. My ds did it all on his own at 3.) That really shocked me. 5! Wow.
    I am sure there are some parents who have tried and tried, but the child is mega headstrong.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 11:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010