Mental, emotional health

Have you ever stayed in psychiatric hospital?
If yes, did you decide to get help for yourself or was told to or forced to go there and how was your experience?
If no, what do you think of people who get admitted there, is it just in their heads or do you think they honestly need help?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 10:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• i thought you had to check yourself in.... I don't know for sure though.... I voluteerily went to rehab
    Anonymous

• I have. I was 14, after the murder-suicide of my parents. I was there for 28 days. It was a better situation for me being there than it was in with my aunt/uncle. It was a highly abusive environment.

Some who get admitted honestly need the help, whether it is temporary or permanent.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have been there, and found out that some people were brought there because they attempted suicide or behaved violently and police first took them to ER, the psychiatric department, then they were taken to the hospital.
    Anonymous

• The 3rd comment is me, I didn't mean to click anonymous, I don't usually do that.
    Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I thought of volunteering myself to be admitted. But then I remembered I am on FS and state medical. Im afraid to get my kid taken from me. I felt like I could not socialize in society. But hoping going to the loony bin would scare the crap outta me was the final analysis. I do not belong there. I can function correctly if I try. For me, it is all in my head. I am the only person that can help myself, guidance helps, though.
    Anonymous