If my DS wakes up at night he wants the breast to go back to sleep.

He is 8 months. Is this normal? What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's totally normal. Babies need breastmilk, and they need to be close to their mothers.
    Nurse him and then go back to bed, or put a mattress in his room or even bring him into your bed to nurse so you can at least lie down and doze off while he's nursing.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Sorry he is 9 months. Thanks raybird:)
    Anonymous

• If he hasn't been breastfed, or hasn't been breastfed since he was in the early months then it isn't normal. If he's breastfed currently then it is normal. He's created that bond and it comforts him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Normal! I still nurse my 7 month old several times during the night. My oldest loved to nurse all night long at 9 months old!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• yes, it is normal. always feed a hungry baby

Answer by rkoloms at 7:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• did you try feeding cereal before bed? Maybe he would be fuller. My DD is 4 months old and there are nights she doesn't get up at all and there are nights the wants the boob in the middle of the night to go back to bed. I bring her in bed with me and put her back when shes sleeping again.
    ChaseyVance

Answer by ChaseyVance at 9:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Several research studies have shown that giving cereal before bed does NOT make baby sleep longer. My 7 mo old LO eats a ton of solid food, and has a big bowl of cereal in the evening. She does not sleep any longer than she did before starting solids. Breastfeeding during the night at this age is often as much for comfort as for food. This is why I choose to bring my LO in bed with me so that she can have her mommy as much as she needs her (and so that I don't have to get up lol!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Totally normal.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• 100% normal. Be warned that before bed cereal can make them wake MORE.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2010