Depression & anxiety?

I've been diagnosed with severe depression twice now (clinical, not PPD) and severe anxiety. I have no insurance, and I don't qualify for medicaid. (as of right now we can't afford the insurance where my husband works, we are just starting on our own.) I've tried natural remedies (relaxation therapy, OTC herbs like st. johns wart, kava kava, etc.) and I tried to pursue that "Attacking Anxiety & Depression" DVD on tv, but it costs WAY too much for me to ever even think about buying.

Does anyone know a way I can get some kind of medical coverage for cheap, or any natural solutions that actually work?

And I just want to add, this really is severe and DOES affect my life every day. I am trying to get help finally because I don't want my son to grow up seeing me cry/talking about death all the time.

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Try Children's Service Society, if there is one in your area. They provide mental health care on a sliding scale fee. Call around and see if any counselors offer sliding scale fees. Also, ask for a generic prescription and go to Walmart, they offer 100's of generics for $4 a month. Contact the manufacturer of the drug and see if they offer assistance. Check with a local university's graduate department in psychology or counseling and they may be able to help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm in the same boat you're in, what I've been trying is making sure I'm taking my vitamins, also an extra B-complex. I know it's not much, but I was diagnosed with the same as you plus I have pmdd on top of everything else. I don't know if it's helping much since I've only been doing it for about a week. Journaling my thoughts and feelings seems to help a bit also, at least for me.
    Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Try 5-HTP. It's over the counter and I use it. My dd uses it and I have a friend who uses it. I've suffered from depression for years and refuse to take prescription meds for it. You don't use it everyday so that helps. Give that a try and eat healthy especially give up refined sugar.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• p.s. also take Vitamin B Complex or at least B-12

Answer by admckenzie at 11:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Vitamin B complex & omega-3 (flaxseed oil or fish oil)
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010