Breastfeeding vs. not

Does anyone else who doesn't/didn't breastfeed feel like everything people say about breastfeeding and how good it is makes you feel like your less of a good parent because you don't/didn't or couldn't?

It makes me feel that way, but I know it's not true because I have a good reason for not breastfeeding. I had to be able to stay on antidepressants after I had the baby, cause not taking them would have been worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• You do what is best for you and your baby and screw everyone else. My first was FF, last 2 BF. I wouldn't change, re-arrange or reconsider how fed any of them. It was what worked for us. Don't feel guilty, it would be way worse to be the crazy lady who drowns her kid in the bathtub. ;)
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Dont doubt yourself! You need to do whats BEST for you and your child!

The woman who do nurse do seem to look down on the rest of us- dont sweat it!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Elanor Roosevelt

Breastfeeding is almost always best, but there are situations when it's not. With every medication, a mother and her dr and babies dr need to weigh the pros and cons of taking it or not. Some doctors are not as informed on the safety of medicines while breastfeeding and they just advise moms to stop nursing. If you weren't able to get a second opinion, you did your best and made a decision based on the info and medical advice you had. No one else's opinion matters, and you should not feel guilty.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I did breast feed - but feel that there is NOTHING wrong with a mother who didn't decide to breast feed. There are too many factors for us to assign any sort of 'blame' per'se. There is nothing wrong as long as your baby is LOVED, Cared for and fed than who the heck cares! We chose to bf because of the health benefits - but also for the cost. We don't qualify for wic or anything, so we saved a LOT of money.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This is off topic, but as for the last the post and the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt...I have a Gandhi quote ring my sister gave me that says "No one can hurt you without your permission."
    Anonymous

• i bf my first for 8 months... then my milk dried up bc i was pregnant with my second. only bf my second for 3 months. my babies are 13.5 months apart.... and the reason i started on formula was basically for my convenience. having done both... i know that there are pros and cons of both formula and breastfeeding. and like other posters have said... you should do what is personally best for you and your baby. whichever makes you a better, more productive, and present parent. do not let other people make you feel inferior. as long as baby is loved and cared for... that is all that matters.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• There are some women who will go out of their way to make moms who don't bf'd feel bad, but my opinion is that the women who try to do that are insecure about their own choice and need to make others out to be "bad" mothers to make themselves feel good. I really do think that in most cases bf'ing is best, but I certainly realise that it's not true for every mom and baby. Whether for medical reasons or emotional reasons or for whatever reason, if bf'ing isn't something that can be done, mom shouldn't be made to feel bad about it. A happy mom will have a happy baby and that has more benefits than a miserable mom who bf'ds.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If antidepressants were your sole reason for not bf'ing, unfortunately you were given bad medical advice. Most antidepressants are considered safe while bf'ing. You can check out www.kellymom.com for up to date studies on bf'ing and antidepressants. That being said, you are not a bad mom for choosing not to bf and I totally agree with the statement that 'no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2010