Miniature Pinscher

Has anyone had experiences with these? We are considering adopting one and would like to know about train-ability and how they are with kids and other dogs.

RutterMama

Asked by RutterMama at 11:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pets

• My grampa raised them. They are nervous dogs, and not the best around kids. Some are wonderful, others are possesive of one person and can be nippy. I love them, but I didn't feel it was fair to bring one into my loud house full of kids who will never leave him alone. It's stressful for them. They aren't easy to train either.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I had one that was Crazy! They do not like to be left alone- Every time we left her alone even for a short time; she would tear up whatever she could- They need alot of attention, mine started nipping at my kids, so we let my husbands brother see if she would do better with him & his wife- his kids were grown- She loved them & just passed recently, she was 13. I would start training yours as soon as you get her to avoid alot of these issues- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• They can be great dogs. They ones that i have worked with have been high strung with plenty of energy but they generally are smart dogs. If you take the time to train and socialize them around all sorts of people and get them used to differant situations they can be really good dogs. You also need to be able give them the excerisise they need.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I had one during Jr.-High school. He was very very high energy but pretty darn smart. I dont think he ever was around little kids but he was fine with me (13 years+). But yeah, I need to re-emphasize the high energy point lol They need lots of exercise and they get fat very easily like Beagles so you need to watch their weight and food intake.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• my mom had one. i called him YOYO. because he really was just like a yoyo. all he did was bounce. i'd walk, and he'd be jumping up my leg. and he'd do it for hours. i really didn't like the dog. WAY too high strung. if you are a calm, lazy(and i don't mean that in a bad way...LOL), relaxed person....definately NOT the breed for you. these dogs need very active humans.
    shecallsmemom04

Answer by shecallsmemom04 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• They are very yippy...My neighbor had one it would bark and yip constantly..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 7:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• lol melissa, mine was named Pogo because he looked like a pogo stick when he jumped
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have one of these dogs. He is very smart; however, he is full of energy and demands alot of attetion. He is not good with people he doesn't know. When people he doesn't know come to visit us we have restrain him and put him in his crate. He loves to ride with us but when he sees people on the street he goes beserk!! Basically with him it doesn't matter if it's a child or an adult if he's not used to them it causes problems. However, I will say with us he is the sweetest little guy. He's 3 years old and his name is Daughtry Yamin (named after Chris Daughtry and Elliott Yamin of American Idol). I wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world. He's our child.
    Proudmomof82008

Answer by Proudmomof82008 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• We have one. He is GREAT with the kids, and thought that they were his puppies when they were little.
    He can bark a lot, and be nippy with strangers and strange dogs. He is crate trained and stays in it when he cannot be supervised. He is older and has bladder issues.
    He is great with his companion, a Jack Russell mix.
    NikkiPhoenix

Answer by NikkiPhoenix at 3:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2010