Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I live in an apartment building. My neighbors just got a new dog that doesn't shut up. Can I call the law?

Seriously, I'm an animal lover. But this is b*llshit. The dog has been howling, barking and yapping non-stop. I can't take it. Can I call the law for noise problems or what? I don't even think they are home! They probaly have it locked in a cage because it's centralized in one area. I can't seriously can't take the noise...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • Not really... You can talk to the management about it, but you moved into a pet friendly housing area... They most likely will not do anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • I would complain to the management first. You cant be the only neighbor who hears this dog right? Are you friendly with other neighbors who live nearby? I would ask them if THEY hear it & maybe if you all went as a united front it would help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Yes, there are laws against excessive animal noise.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • yes of course, have them come into your apt and listen to it. i'm sure the dogs will hear people outside and start the racket. they are in control of the noise volume coming from their apt and this isn't constituted as a needed sound. if the police in your town don't want to get involved then they will tell you that it's a civil matter. i would just call in a noise problem with the neighbors then explain it to them when they get there.

    Answer by angevil53 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Tell your landlord and see if anyone else has complained. Then call the non-emergency police phone# and see if your area has noise regulations. Some places do and some places don't.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • New dog huh? So, it's a new environment, possibly left home alone, etc.? Also, no windows to see out of when it hears noises outside doesn't help. I'd give it a week or two and see if he/she settles down. It takes dogs a bit to adjust to a new home and apartments aren't really the ideal home ffor a dog anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Most cities have a ordinance regarding dogs and your neighbors can be cited if you call it in, if they are cited they will have to go to court and you will have to appear to back up the citation. We had a neighbor who kept taunting my dog while we were in a temporary house while waiting for our new home, he called the police on us, we went to court and by this time we had moved, the judge listened to the man then heard from us and the other neighbors who told how this man had actually taunted my dog so he would bark. The judge dismissed the case. Keep in mind if you call on it you will be asked to appear in court or else nothing will be done about it.

    First I would try and talk to them if they are not home they may not know their dog is barking and howling like crazy. If the dog is young then it is still learning and there are things they can do about it. I would definately try talking to them first.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • sounds like the dog is scared becuase of his new environment. i'd at least talk to management for caling the police. but if pets are allowed, all they can do is speak about it, but give it some time. more than likely once pupps gets used dto his environment he'll maybe quiet down

    Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Heck ya you can call. It is called disturbing the peace...Shut it up or they will.. really if it is that bother some you can bet you are not he only one!

    Answer by heather1381 at 3:00 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Just because pets are "allowed" doesnt mean a person has to put up with constant noise from them. Sure, you expect a moderate amount of noise when you live that close to other people but if you can hear it that often & that much in your place, its time someone put a stop to it. I'd contact the manager first but sometimes the manger will tell you to go ahead & call the cops. That's what they did at the place I lived. The neighbors kids were insane & throwing stuff at our cars.We asked them to stop & the cussed at us so we called the cops. Put a quick stop to it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.