6 month old with fever

My daughter has a fever of 99.6 (under the armpit) and I don't have a way to call a dr. right now. Shes under 24 lbs...around 18 or 19, and i'm not sure how to help her. She threw up earlier tonight so i'm scared to give her formula. SO.......

1) Is it true if you take the temp under the armpit to add a degree (puts her over 100)

2)Do you know anything I can give her or something to do to help her feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you take the temp under the arm, you'd add .9, according to our thermometer. Unless the temp is 102, our doctor didn't even need us to call.
    A fever is the body's normal response to fighting off something, and it's ok unless it's super high. Sometimes kids get a slightly elevated temp, and it seems scary, but it is usually not any reason to be worried.
    As for the throwing up, don't be afraid to either nurse her or give her formula, and just keep some extra towels or a bucket handy. She needs to stay hydrated. You can let her snuggle with you and put a cool washcloth on her forehead, but 100 isn't high enough to cause any kind of damage. Our pediatrician says medicine shouldn't be given unless it's a high fever, and I wouldn't want to guess at a dose.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Call the Health Hotline 1-888-324-3243. They can tell you what you need and can do. I call them all the time, they are a great help when you don't know what to do, and it doesn't cost anything
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• This exact situation just happened to my now 8 mo old. She didnt exhibit any signs other than being cranky and having a fever. We gave her motrin and went to bed. The next day she still had a fever, so I just took her in to the hospital. It turns out she had a Kidney infection. Which can be fatal if untreated. I honestly never would have known. She was playing and cooing all day. Play it safe, what are your mommy senses telling you? If baby doesnt seem right start by calling the advice nurse at your local hospital. If not just make an appointment.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 12:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• fever reducer ya, milk can upset a tummy so some water would be good. I would stay away from a lot of the sugarry juice. get a BLANKIE AND SNUGGLE
    heather1381

Answer by heather1381 at 2:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• ODDS ARE by a.m. all fine...keep a watchfull eye on behavior, fever should break and you can still grab a blankie and snuggle some more..
    heather1381

Answer by heather1381 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• keep her hydrated. Even if you do watered down formula or feed her water from a little spoon. If her temp stays above 100 try to get in touch with the doc. Also take her temp in the bottom I know noone likes to do this but it is the most accurate.
    mommalaa

Answer by mommalaa at 3:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2010