Opinions on this workout schedule

Okay, background, I've had three back to back babies and needless to say it's taken a toll on my body. I'm also a sahm. It's okay, but I need to lose about 30 lbs (45 is my goal, but I am happy with losing 30 for now) Realistically, what am I looking at 5-6 months, more....? Right now, I have started doing Yoga 3-4 times per week, trying to work up to 5 times, along with using the treadmill for 20 mins per day and tomorrow, I will start using free weights. I eat a good diet, drink lots of water. I do have an enlarged thyroid, so I am thinking that may have to do with why I am having a hard time losing weight, but I am thinking with this schedule, I should have some progress....? What do you ladies think? Should I add something else in or is this a good start? Oh and the Yoga I am doing is a fat buster one, so it's intense, but makes me feel great....doesn't tire me out to wear I don't want to work out...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My opinion is that I'm too lazy to do all that. I'm only good for yoga once a week and a little Wii fit here & there.
    Good for you though, and good luck meeting your goal!
    If it doesn't work for you and you're not getting the results you want, you can always change it up, right?
    Check with your doctor though about the thyroid thing and how it would affect you losing weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• That's awesome that your hitting it head on! I definitely think as long as you keep it up you will see progress. The only thing is my friend has a thyroid problem and because of it its difficult to lose weight. So I would definitely talk to your doctor if you haven't already. But don't give up!!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The only thing I would change is upping your treadmill to at least 30 minutes, the trainers at my gym suggest 30- 45 minutes. I do 30 minutes of a good workout gradually increasing the incline and then a 5 minute cool down at a low level and no incline. So far it is working great.

I would also talk to the doctor about the thyroid, my family has a history of thyroid issues and I know it can be a real pain as far as weight goes.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Cardio, cardio, cardo I was a personal trainer for 4 years, that doesn't mean I know what works for everyone and it's guranteed but I can tell you an hour of cardio 3-5 times a wk is way to go...yoga is good, but you gotta get in there, workout it , sweat it out and hard! you will see results...usually we tell ppl not to even start the whole weight lifting etc ('because you're technically gaining weight, by toning up muscle...gaining muscle as muscle weighs more than fat) if they have a good amount to lose, more than 20lbs then the first 20 you can lose from cardio alone, once that "fat" starts going, and you lose like on cardio, you then gotta keep that up and add on the weight lifting to tone the "lose" skin...make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• trick is to burn more calories than you take in...if your eating right and still not having results take a look at your portion size and find foods with more protein...self.com does a really good and free weight plan with food logs and all. even have some advice an the tread mill and such
    heather1381

Answer by heather1381 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• OP here

Thanks ladies! I know all about the cardio, but I also have severe asthma that is effected by me getting out of breathe too fast. I am hoping to build up my endurance so I can do more high impact cardio. I will bump up the treadmill to 30 mins though. I do need to see the dr about my thyroid, my dh and I are currently waiting to find a new dr. Also, I know my portion sizes are fine, I did WW a few years ago and had some success with that, I have kept up with the portions, that's why i am thinking maybe my thryoid has something to do with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Going a bit off the beaten path but I actually think you shouldn't go over 20 min on the treadmill. The best cardio that increases metabolism, helps you get toned and done with your workout is interval training. I am a personal trainer and this is what I follow myself. Research shows that short burst is more efficient than long steady cardio. Plus it's more fun!
    taylorryan

Answer by taylorryan at 8:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Thanks so much! I was just talking to a friend of mine who said her trainer said that 20 mins a day can do wonders for your body :) I hope so!
    Anonymous