2 year old still won't talk?

My son just recently turned two and still hasn't even said his first word yet. He points, grunts, screams, but no words. Is there anything I can do to help him talk?

SweetestSin

Asked by SweetestSin at 1:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you had his hearing checked? He doesn't even say Momma or Dadda?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Also... is his doctor worried?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• No words or babbling at all. His hearing is good though.
    SweetestSin

Answer by SweetestSin at 1:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes the docter is worried. She said he may need a speech therapist.
    SweetestSin

Answer by SweetestSin at 1:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Is she in a daycare setting ever or around other kids thats the same age? That will usually bump them up a little and encourage them to talk.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• He*... Sorry.
    Itsonono

• No he's real shy.
    SweetestSin

Answer by SweetestSin at 1:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• honestly sometimes, it just takes time, and sometimes we really dont see it and he or she is talking we just arent getting it.. is he understanding things?
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 2:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Definately makes sure he doesn't have fluid in his ears, if not speech therapy is not that bad, my son is 17 months and they have him in it, and its helping him out, you will go with him to the appt or they can do home visits, and they will teach you how to work with him to help him out. Don't know where you live but my sons pedi recomended a place here called new vistas and they work with kids for free, the get funding to work with the kids. So there might be someplace like that. If you get him into an early headstart they will evaluate him as well and help out with that.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• funny thing...i was the same way. according to my family i spoke in martian and pointed. sadly at almsot 27 i still point at everything. my actions earned me the nickname Smoo and my family still calls me that. i'd take him to a ENT first and make sure he's not having an airway obstruction. have his hearing checked as well. i dont worry so bad because you said he does make noise and knows what he wants. but i'd go in this order personaly: Peds, ENT. then speech therapy
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2010