lately when my DD poops it seems to irritate her skin very quickly really bad. why?

I kow if a child sits in her dirty diaper they can get a bad diaper rash because of the acid in her bowels. BUT lately if she poops it starts to form a bad rash very quickly. I do not leave my DD in her pamper but I do like to let her finish using before I change it so sometimes it takes 10 or 15 min. Or sometimes she's sleeping and uses the bathroom and wakes up or ill check on her while she's sleeping snd see that she needs a diaper change. Point is she has a really bad rash right now and I'm just trying to figure out why her bowels have been so acidic lately? She's never been like this. I use calmoseptine or desitin for her rash, they work well BTW.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is she teething? I have a 15 mo granddaughter living with me. When she is really working on cutting some teeth, she can get a bad rash in no time flat! And the normal rash creams don't really work so well on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Oh yes she is! She's only 14 mths

OP here
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Watch giving friuts high in acid. My dd will get very irritated if she drinks too much OJ or has too many strawberries. She will have instant rashes after each BM. I will usually use a liberal amount of aquaphor after each diaper change especially when she goes to sleep. I also really like Lansino Diaper Rash Cream. it has Milk of Magnesia which helps soothe and slaer up rashes. Also I had to change her diaper brand becasue she developed and sensativity to Pampers
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 4:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It sounds like a food allergy or sensitivity, dairy is common, but there are many other possibilities.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• When my oldest would teethe, his poop would irritate his bum so bad!!! He would always get horrible diaper rash and diarrhea. I kept his butt coated with A&D cream, not the ointment, the cream with zinc oxide and it seemed to help some. Poor baby.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:07 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Teething makes poop acidic. Use Pinxalve pronounced Pink Salve. It is the best stuff ever! Just paint her little but pink with it. It is very healing. My son had a fight with diareaha and it burnt his little but to the point his skin peeled. The doc told us to ask the pharmacy for Pinxalve and it worked like magic, very healing.
    Anonymous