Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Can anyone tell me if I need to do anything special (any schooling, certification, etc.) to become a tutor? I really don't want to teach, and I can't afford to go to school to get a teaching degree. I already have a degree in French (more than 20 yrs. ago!) and our local HS did not hire a French teacher to replace the one that retired last year. I have been looking for work for 2 yrs, so this is about the only thing I can think of that I might be able to do. I would like to know if I need to do anything before I approach the school as they have an online class for French, so I'm sure that some of the kids would benefit from having a real person there to help. I live in OH, if that makes a difference. Thanks.


Asked by 29again at 2:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 27 (31,176 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • There is a great tutoring agency, here is the link
    basically you do an online exam, and fill in a resume
    you provide your info so they can do a background check for you
    people post adverts on the website and you apply
    you pick your rate
    i strongly recommend it

    Answer by heidibooks at 10:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

  • You might have to be get a fingerprint clearance card. (This allows you to work with children and usually runs an FBI background check) .Also most states will allow substitute certification with a B.A but check with Ohio's department of education, they may have specifics.

    Answer by mommalaa at 2:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • You can sign up with a tutoring center or advertise in your area and at local high schools and colleges.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2010