when is the best time to get fitted and buy a nursing bra?

i'm 35 weeks prego and already in dire need of a new bra! when should i buy my nursing bra...now or when baby is here?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When baby is here, or about 38-40 weeks. I made the mistake of buying nursing bras throughout my pregnancy- my boobs ended up growing 5 cup sizes so the bras were too small by the time baby was born.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You are going to go through more than one. I would get a couple inexpensive ones to start; perhaps the strechy Bravado style that you just pull down instead of unclip.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I never increased in bra size, just cup size. I bought a lot on ebay that had C, D, DD and E and that was perfect because I was busting out of the E for a few weeks but now can fit in the D. I am normally a C. You can also get 3pc lots of new bras on ebay for like $9.99. I would get one set in each of the next three sizes up.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I bought nursing tanks from Target. I think I bought two or three before she was born and then a few more after and I knew I liked them. Personally I prefer the tanks because they provide stomach coverage when you lift your shirt. I bought the size I thought I would have worn when I wasn't pregnant and that was perfect. When my milk came in and my boobs were really out there my husband wanted to go buy a larger size but they did go back down and the size I had were fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I'd go ahead and get fitted (leave a little extra room for swelling and growth though) and buy a couple about 38 wks. But make sure that they will let you exchange them if they no longer fit when the baby is here. After I had my daughter, my boobs about doubled in size for the first month or two before they went back down.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would just get one..your boobs are going to change so much anyway that you wont be able to keep up! A good idea is to get like a sleeping one - they are comfortable and I found they easily accommadated my forever changing boobs!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You are probably going to need nursing bras in at least a couple different sizes. If you went ahead and bought one now, it would probably fit you at some point. You will most likely need a larger one within the first couple of weeks after birth. Mine were HUGE for about a month, and then went back to pregnancy size for the rest of the time I breastfed. But I think it's little different for everyone. I 2nd the recommendation for the nursing tanks from Target!

Answer by missanc at 9:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I got new bras midway through my first.....none fit as soon as the milk came in. had to do a mad trip to the store to hold these puppies up. lol

playtex has some AWESOME bras in larger sizes (I'm a DDD 36) - with NO STRETCH. I found that the stretchy ones would fit right in the am and then as the breast sizes changes with engorgement etc they'd start to sag and that hurt.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• my size didnt increase at all. i was a 32a before and after. the smallest size nursing bras were a 34b also which sucked, they were huge. i had to go give up on breast feeding at 4 months though because i went back to school and even with pumping lost my milk supply:(
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• you could go ahead and get fitted for a bra. just remember that when you're milk comes in to add another cup size to what you are. also, make sure you try the bra on and make sure you are on the loosest latch. that way as your rib cage goes back down after birth, then you can tighten it as needed and not have to get so many bras.
    i used to work at motherhood maternity. so, i had to explain this a lot. lol
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2010