At what age did you teach your child to call 911?

My older two kids are 3 and 5. They are both somewhat inconsistent with their numbers, but I was thinking of teaching them to dial 911 in an emergency.

At what age did you teach your children and how did you explain the severity of the issue/when it's acceptable to call?

I know I never needed to call 911 until I was a teenager, but you never know what might happen...

fluud7

Asked by fluud7 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my girls are 2 years and my oldest will be 5 in Apriil she will be going to kindergarden this Augest so I am teaching her now the number for an emergency. I will ask her if she remembers the number? Although she doesn't yet then I will tell her it is 9-1-1 and then I always tell her after that it is only to be dialed if there is an emergency. I don't know if she knows what the numbers look lilke though lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My oldest was a much more mature 3yo than my now- 3yo is. We do safety town classes at 3 or 4 (depending on when their birthday falls). My now 3yo is probably a year or two off from understanding. He has a hearing/speech delay.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I taught my 4 yo the other day. My house phone we can push the numbers and not dial the numbers. I figure I have older kids that can do it that are here all the time but what happens if we are all needed for the emergency and we need someone else to call. I have heard of 2 yos calling. You have to just put the number up and tell them that if they call that the police will come.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• "I always tell her after that it is only to be dialed if there is an emergency"

Ok, but what defines an 'emergency' to a 5yo?

fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• my dh gave our son his old cell phone. he fell asleep on the couch while watching a movie with him. with a cell when you dial just 9 + call it calls 911/ my dh was awoke to the dispatcher asking about the emergency the child called about ---- lol! that is what he gets for sleeping! so we did teach him about age 3 because it came up.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My dd has this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Its-Time-Call-911-Emergency/dp/1591252741
    She's good with her numbers but this book is especially helpful for exactly this purpose. It explains what emergencies are and when to call the number. It will only work if you dial 911 in the correct sequence. And then you hear fire engines and ambulances, it's really pretty cool.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 9:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My son was 3 when he was taught. My dad has MS and my son would stay with him for short periods of time. If my dad fell and got hurt, someone needed to be called.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2010