my daughter has flakes and an itchy scalp and is 11 months old. what can i shampoo with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well you have to decide if you are seeing some cradle cap (which is possible up to around 2) or if you are seeing dandruff. If the scalp looks like scales and skin flakes off in larger pieces you would want to add olive oil, or use an olive oil based leave in conditioner. If your child has itchiness and small flakes all over, I would suggest you use a real dandruff shampoo. Wash with it every other day for 2 weeks. Then you should be able to switch back to the normal shampoo until you see signs of dandruff again. Dandruff is rare in children but it does occur. Do not use any greasy styling products in her hair.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It's cradle cap as Pat says. My kids both had it. I actually bathed my ds(baby#2) w/olive oil.
    I would take a plastic fine tooth comb and comb his scalp in backward direction to loosen the skin,rinse w/warm water while he was in the bath and put a small amount of olive oil on. If you do this on a regular basis it will go away:)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Selson Blue, Head and Shoulders....dandruff shampoo. Be careful not to get it in her eyes though.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Olive oil is good, but if you don't want her head to be oily, then use Shea butter. Just make sure it is a blend that is free of mineral oil like Jordan Essentials. It's available in many fragrances including Baby Powder & Unscented.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My pediatrician recommended Nizoral shampoo - it used to be prescription only but you can now get it OTC, but if you get it in their eyes, it will burn so be careful.

Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Just rub some olive oil on her scalp and comb out the flakes with a fine-tooth comb.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010