Mostly for informed pro-choice moms, but anyone is welcome

With the Tebow pro-life superbowl ad debate has come some accusations that Focus on the Family falsifies many women's results at their clinics. Providing falsely negative pregnancy tests, false medical information and fake ultrasounds among the charges.

Does anyone know if this is really happening? Does anyone have some information on what is happening in these clinics?

I'm sort of ambivalent about the pro-life/pro-choice debate, and I just want the truth on both sides.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think there is any absolute answer to your question because it involves lies and private medical information. When I was pregnant with my oldest I went to a pro-life pregnancy center for a test and help and they were very supportive and nice. I had all catholic doctors was was misinformed about my ability to get pregnant while breastfeeding. I went to planned parenthood for an abortion consultation and was treated poorly. The u/s tech forced me to look at the ultrasound and I left there crying, certain I was going to keep a child I never wanted.

I think there are obviously some dubious people who would choose to lie and misinform and push their beliefs on vulnerable young women, but for the most part, I think you can get a reasonable experience at right-for-life facility.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 8:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My mother in law used to volunteer a lot of time at the crisis pg center where she used to live. I can tell you that where she worked, this was NOT true. HOWEVER - they didn't do a blood test to check to see if you were pg. They gave a free urine test. When they came back neg, they would advise them that while false positives are not likely, it is possible to get a false neg. if it is still early in your pg, and that they should test again in a couple of weeks to be sure.

The problem was, most of them - the majority of them teen girls or young women - didn't want to be pg, and they were hoping so hard they weren't, that when the test came back neg - well, that's what they wanted to hear - the test said they weren't pg - so that was that.... Many wouldn't come back to re-test. Some they never saw again, some of them did come back later, pg. It wasn't that they were lied to, they just only heard part of the answer.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Now, I'm not a huge fan of everything that Focus on the Family does, and my dh really does NOT like Dr. Dobson. But, in fairness, I also know that at the pro - life pg center that my mil volunteered at, they tried very hard to be non-judgmental. If you were pg and were talking to them, they would advise you of your choices. They would tell you that you could choose to have the baby and keep it - and there was counseling and help available if you did. Or, you could choose adoption - and if you did, again, there was counseling available. Or, you could choose abortion - and while they hoped that you wouldn't choose that (and give reasons why - reasons that did NOT include graphic pics, etc) - and they would NOT help you seek one, IF you did have one, counseling was available (from women who had abortions themselves in their past).

You had to be cleared by your church and the clinic to volunteer there.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I should add, that of course I don't believe that ALL clinics are as honest or helpful in a non-judging way as this one, but I really don't think there's an actual plan to trick women into thinking they aren't pg when they are.

Because, to be fair, just as there are nut jobs who are rabid about it on the pro life side, who are against abortions, and, for that matter, even birth control, there are also just as many rabid nut jobs on the pro choice side who are dead set against any woman being counseled that abortion isn't the only choice for a pg that isn't entirely planned or wanted at the time.

Sadly, I've met nuts from both sides over the yrs - neither really helps their cause...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I'll qualify my answer by saying I am pro life but I used to volunteer in a pregnancy life care center and there was no false information given. The information was definitely "slanted" anti abortion, but mainly because they showed what actually happens in an abortion during the various stages of the babies development, which determines which method of abortion the drs have to use.
    But - the whole debate about the ad shouldn't be on whether or not you support Focus on the Family. The ad in and of itself is not pro Focus on the Family, it's pro life. It's not controversial, it just shows a positive story about someone who didn't choose abortion as the option.

Answer by missanc at 12:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010