Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is EIC and why can't I get it?

Okay this is probably going to sound like a really stupid question but I have no idea what eic is and I don't think my husband and I can get it. I am a stay at home mom and a full time student and my husband works full time. He files with a tin number because he is here illegally and no I don't want you to bash me for that because you don't know the circumstances. I just want to find out what the eic is and why we don't get it since my husband works, pays taxes, and we have two kids. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Earned Income Credit. You don't get it because you don't have a legal head of household. End of story.

    Answer by IamPatSajak at 9:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Honestly, it's what IamPat said. It's an extra tax credit that you can get if you make under a certain amount. But since your husband is an illegal (even if you do pay taxes and, I'm assuming, since you are paying taxes and etc is trying to get legalized status), you don't qualify.

    Once he's legal / has citizenship, then, depending on your income, you will qualify.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Ditto

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • The above are all correct answers. There are 2 things you need to qualify- you need to be UNDER the max income and he must be legal. We do not qualify because of the income guidelines-but boy I do not feel "rich". Go figure!

    Answer by soyousay at 9:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010


    get the best info going to the source. Happy reading.

    PS, if he's applied for a ITIN, you are probably legit in your filing and all. :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • 1 - It is based on income level you have to make less than a certain amount to qualify
    2 - If he is illigal he is not going to get the tax breaks an benefits

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • When he is legal and if you meet the income guidelines he will qualify. If he isn't a citizen and is here illegally not sure why you think he should get more money than he paid in taxes back anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • hmm, hopefully he gets deported.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • has a chart that shows you what your income has to be under in order to get EIC. I'm quite certain that your spouse has to be a citizen though. However I think if your income is really really low and you file separately you might still be able to get something although not much. If anything it's at least worth looking into.

    GOOD LUCK :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.