What do you think is better, take unemployment and goverment help until I have the baby or take a risk and accept a job without benefits?

I am 7 months pregnant, I recently lost my job and for the first time in my life, I have to filled for government help and UC. I will receive food stamps, government medical insurance and unemployment benefits but I feel worthless and still looking for a job. Yesterday, I received a job offer, it's a Daycare pays $8p/h, not a permanent position, no medical insurance or maternity leave. I just will be working a couple months and after the baby is born they probably hired me back. This is not a job that I will take in a normal situation because my last job pays me over $20p/h. My friend told me that is insane to take the job because they could fired me at any time and I'll be in a worth situation that I am right now. What do you think?

Ilovesunflowers

Asked by Ilovesunflowers at 9:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The job would land you in an assload of medical debt. Take UE.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 9:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think since you are so far along, you should go ahead and wait it out. Your friend is right, it could wind up putting you in a worse situation in the long run. Plus, they say to be VERY careful working in a daycare while your pregnant. I guess because of germs and stuff, not sure. You only have 2 more months to go, just wait it out. Take your time, be careful. I wound up working too hard when I was pregnant, and had to go on bedrest at 8 months til the end of my pregnant, and they didn't offer me my job back.

IMO, I think you should wait until after you have the baby.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You would get more money on unemployment.. You pay the money in so why not use it? I don't know where your from but in michigan if you turn down a job you lose your money from the state unless they don't know about the offer then ur safe... but either way sounds like you should stay where you are.. imo since this is the first time this has ever happened to you then enjoy your time off b4 the baby, don't feel bad about having the gov help you that is what they are there for.. You have a good reason, I know ppl that get all that just because they don't want to work which really ticks me off.. gl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• First, who is going to hire you back? Your old job or the daycare? If it is your old job I'd take the assistance. If not you have other considerations to think about.
    What will the $8 an hour allow you to pay? Can you pay rent? Food, diapers etc. Babies are expensive. You can still get WIC on $8 but can you get ins(medicaid) for the baby?
    It really all depends on these factors. I assume you are single and there is no other income, and I assume you don't want to work for $8 permanantly so you will be looking for another job soon after the baby is born. There is nothing wrong with using the system as long as you are trying to better yourself and not just milking it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• While I am all for working when you are able and need the money, I also have nothing against someone getting help when it's needed.

I know it's hard for your pride right now, you're stressed about losing your job, and I know that your hormones are all out of whack, which probably doesn't help the situation, but, honestly, you situation is exactly the sort of thing that programs like this are for!

Take the help, have your baby, and when you've healed from the birth, you can look for work then / re-evaluate the situation.

And hold your head high, because there's nothing to be ashamed of about needing help - it could happen to the best of us, and look at it this way, making sure you have health care is the best choice for your baby right now!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Take the job. Most states have Medicaid for pregnant mothers without insurance -- regardless of whether you have a job or not. In Indiana the program is called Hoosier Healthwise Package C. Usually these programs will cover your child for the 1st year of life.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• go ahead and get the unemplyment, if u was making 20 an dhour then u will probaly get alot of money a week. my mil was only making 10 and hour and she gets 400 a week
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i forgot to add that she had to fight it becouse they denied her but she fought for about a month and half and got all that back pay at once
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Take the unemployment girl!! Can you get Medicaid from your state too? They'll pay for your baby...no out of pocket $$. Do it for your baby. It will be alright.

I know it sucks, I've been there, but the last thing you need is to take a crappy job at the end of your pregnancy and be stressed or miserable. Once your baby is here and you've gotten used to everything and feel up to it, then maybe worry about looking for a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• take the unemployment. don't worry about getting help . that is what its there for when there are hard times. Then after the baby is born and everything is more settled then you can find a better job. besides at 7months how much energy can you possible have to deal with the little daycare children. I say take the unemployment and know that its only temporary help from the goverment. I will be getting help also and i am a single mother but i am going to school fulltime because i know its temporary. we pay plenty of taxes might as well use what its paid for. i worked until i almost had the baby and when i had my time off right before i was so glad. you can do so much with this time off. i say do what is best for urself and ur baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2010