having trouble with bottle feeding

i breast feed my lil man but when i or someone else goes to bottle feed him he rejects it by pushing it back out. i have fed him by bottle many times before and he may have had a lil dificulty but eventually took it and would drink everything. but when my mom was babysitting one day, he would not accept the bottle at all, even if he is hungry. ever since then my husband and i have tried planty of times and still wont take it. the last time i remeber him taking the bottle was about 1.5 months agowith my mom in law while she babysat.
i need to get him to accept the bottle because i plan on going back to work and i want to make sure he will be eating while im gone. what should i do? what am i doing wrong?

Chrisie1201

Asked by Chrisie1201 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may want to try a different nipple. My daughter is going through the same thing. She would take the occasional bottle without issue, then we sent her to my MILs one night and she just did NOT want bottles. I haven't been able to get her to drink one since then. (Although I haven't tried all THAT much). My child before her was particular about bottles. He would take soothies only. He nursed for 15mo.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 9:24 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i have tried plenty of different nipples. at first i thought the nipples were too plasticy, like stiff plastic and not soft like a real nipple so i got softer ones. then i saw that maybe they were too long cuz he would gag every once in a while that i tried so i tried to find a short nipple, and still wont take it. im getting fustrated ...grrr lol
    Chrisie1201

Answer by Chrisie1201 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Try using a dropper. It's slower but it works.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 9:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Both of my boys started rejecting the bottle at a certain age. It's just nipple preference, he's old enough now to know the difference between your boob and the bottle and he prefers the boob.

How old? He won't starve himself... they can go all day without nursing and then just make up for it when you get home. You can also try a sippy cup with the valve removed. Caregiver tips cup back, baby takes a sip. Either way, he'll get the milk he needs.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes you can use the sippy cup (no valve) and definitely try different kinds of nipples..also is it breastmilk or formula in the bottle? My little girl hated formula, but she would take bm in a bottle but ONLY the playtex drop in kind.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• someone else needs to give him the bottle when you are not around

Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• In addition to just trying different bottles with different shaped nipples have you made sure you got the proper flow nipple? Such as a 6 month old trying to suck at a nipple designed for newborns (slow flow) is going to get frustrated at the lack of milk coming thru pretty quickly.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i have tried a lot of different nipples and he just doesnt like it. i think he prefers actual nipple.
    its scary to know that they can go all day w/o feeding.
    i feed him breast milk only and have been using slow flow nipples the entire time. he has been fed by ther people with out me being there, my mom tried last month while i was gone for the day.
    i will try the sippy cup idea sound interesting
    Chrisie1201

Answer by Chrisie1201 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• That happend to me w/my first born. What i ended up doing is that i would come home every 3hrs and nurse her it was a paint in he butt, Thank good my employeer was ok w/it. Now whit my 2nd i want to be able to switch back & fort so i give her a bottle during the day & nurse at night. even though she fights me when i try to give her the bottle.

All I can say is dont give up try a zipy cup, reg cup, or a straw. Some breastfeed baby know how to use the straw at a early age.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 3:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2010