ok, no idea what to do!

My dd is 2 and has had a diaper rash on her butt/upper thighs for a while now. I thought it was diaper rash and that's how I've been treating it (destin, baby powder). She's been potty training and runs around the house diaperless a lot of the time so I know she's getting plenty of air! Yet, everytime she sits to pee/poo, or I put panties on her it flares up! Her butt gets sooo red and she starts crying because it hurts so bad! I can't get into the dr for another month... how can I help her?

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take equal parts of corn starch, neosporin, and zinc oxide. Its what is called Triple Paste. Apply that every time after she goes potty. Take special notice, because zinc oxide may react with her skin, but if it doesn't, it could help a lot. She may have a yeast infection or something that needs to be treated otherwise, but that triple paste might help in the meantime.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• What kind of laundry soap do you use? You may want to try a dye free/phosphate free version if you aren't already.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Does she drink/eat acidic foods like apple juice? My dd had a nasty rash until I cut out the apple juice.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Does she eat things with lots of catsup or lots of pasta sauce? Anything tomato based? It's REALLY acidic and can cause horrible reactions. My boys would get rash from it A LOT when they were little because they loved sauces and catsup on everything. LOL Good luck and I hope she feels better!!!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It's gone after just taking off her diaper this morning, but it always comes back. She drinks different types of juices, all watered down and I our detergent is dye free... but i'm almost thinking it's the detergent? Thank you so much for your input ladies! I really do appreciate it! She also told me her mouth hurts and she's been showing signs of teething... could this contribute to it or no?
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Sometimes kids can get a yeast infection that looks like a diaper rash. You may want to take her to the dr if it doesn't clear up to make sure it's not more serious than a diaper rash.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Often times, teething will cause diarrhea due to excess saliva being swallowed. Then the diarrhea leads to diaper rash
    Every time my nephew was teething, he would get a rash that would break out and bleed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2010