The store I work for will be shutting down for 3 months to remodel.

I intend to file for unemployment during that time because it would be considered a job attached lay off. It will be anywhere between 70-90 days, but I am not certain I could survive without some sort of income in that time. Can I file before the store actually closes if I know the date they are closing? And can they terminate me for seeking unemployment during a lay off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• i think that is what the uneployment benefits are there for. alot of people get layed off and then get rehired. it should be a question on the form. i would look it up for ur state to make sure. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• In my state you have to be unemployed for 1 full week before you qualify to recieve benefits. So no you can't file before. And I'm sure they expect you to file when the time comes, unless they offer you work in another store if it is part of a chain of stores.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You can file on your first non-working day.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2010