When you have two cars do you really buy two cars seat?

My hubby and I have separate cars and up untill now we have just used one travel system. We are thinking about the future and wondering if we need to purchase two convertible cars seats or just one and move it back and forth between cars.
What did you do?
and whatabout when the child stays at a sitters?

Thanks in advance for advice.

mckinzy

Asked by mckinzy at 10:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's much easier to have two. One in each car that way you won't have to keep switching it. Those things are a pain to install! When the child stays at the sitters, leave her one. Or buy a used one for in case of emergencies and leave it at the sitters.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• We bought 2 car seats. My grandparents were the sitters for my kid and we bought a car seat for them just in case. We have always had 2 car seats. Its just easier, especially in the cold months.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• If you have a travel system, you just need another car base. That is what we do. They are a bit expensive depending on what travel system you have. Luckily my sister had the same travel system as us, so we were able to borrow her base. It is so much nicer having 2 so you don't have to take it out everytime and move it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I agree that you should just get 2. It's easier and that way you're not accidently stuck without a car seat. We tried switching back and forth, but it became a pain to remember early in the morning which car had the carseat in it and if we had to move it while we were in a rush it was really bad.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You don't have to have two carseats, but if you use both cars a lot or one of you will be dropping baby off and the other picking baby up from the babysitters it's easier to have a carseat in each vehicle so you're not switching all the time. We rarely go anywhere in my hubby's van so we could get by with just the seat in my van, but it is very convenient to know that he could pick our son up if needed without having to come get the seat from my van. My mil watches our son and she has a seat for her car as well. Plus if you can just leave it installed you know it's done right, rather than being a rush and maybe having it installed incorrectly.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• We used just one, and swapped it back and forth for a while. It does present a problem though, if one of you has the car with the seat and plans to pick up the child, and then can't for one reason or another. The other has to come get the seat or swap cars or whatever before picking up the child. If you can afford two, I'd go ahead and get a second one just to save yourself the hassle.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You don't NEED two but it does make things a lot easier. As long as you don't mind having to always take the car seat out and put it in the other car and are able to leave it at the baby sitters if they other parent will be picking the child up you can suffice with just one.
    Anonymous

• probably easier to have two, but how often do you switch vehicles?

I just switch the seats between my truck and the jeep.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• We have a seat for each car (ours and the grandparents who get her one night a weekend) and a spare for the house in case I need to leave for any type of emergency or anything else. Removing the seats over and over again, doesn't feel safe to me plus it's a pain in the butt.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Like all of the ladies said, you don't NEED two, but it is nice to have them. Even though my mom only had the boys once a week, she bought two car seats to keep in her vehicle. My husband rarely ever had the boys in his vehicle, so we didn't feel a need to buy extra for his car.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010