How did you get your baby off the bottle?

Mine daughter is 18 months and I'm having a hard time getting her off the bottle.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:35 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, and like pp said. Sometimes cold turkey is the only and best way to make it work...But she is getting a little older so she may understand if you explain things to her too.
    mom_love07

Answer by mom_love07 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I tought them how to drink out of a cup/sippy. Then threw the bottles out.

Answer by louise2 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• She drinks out of a cup, but refuses milk in a cup.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Cold turkey sippy! I know it sounds harsh, but sometimes you gotta do, what needs done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• How often do you give her a bottle then?

mom_love07

Answer by mom_love07 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I didnt Dh did he got tired of measuring out formula and milk ratio so he hid all the bottles and gave DS a nuby sippy. worked like a charm.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• She has 2, 7-6 ounce bottles a day. One in the morning and one before bed.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• If your child is eating 3 meals a day. she really does not need milk to survive. If you get rid of the bottles and make it perfectly clear, "no more bottles". She will eventually drink milk out of a cup.

Answer by louise2 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My boys were around 2, when we finally had to wash up all the bottle, put them in a bag, and put them in the garage. Cold turkey is the only thing that worked for us.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Hmm, well start only giving her one at bed time. Try explaining that she is getting to be a big girl and doesn't really need the bottle anymore. Try letting her pick out her sippy too, then maybe she won't mind drinking milk or anything else from it.

And once you start to potty train her it may be easier to get her off the bottle before bed too, because i let my daughter have a sippy like right before bed every night, same time,. same thing in it,milk. and once potty training started I started giving her as much as she would drink during the day, and cutting off liquids an hour before bed...So if she takes it right before bed. that might help.

Or even start givng her less and less in the bottle each week. so give her like an ounce less. and try explaining that when it comes to where the milk gets to a certain point, the next morning she will have to give the bottle to the bottle fairy. I know it sounds silly but it works.
    mom_love07

Answer by mom_love07 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2010