Has anyone ever not wanted kids.. then had them and were glad they did?

I found out that I cannot conceive a child without the help of fertility drugs. I don't want to go through all that AGAIN. It was a horrible experience for both my husband and I. We thought about adopting and may pursue that later in life when my SS is older because right now, he's going through some emotional battles and can't be trusted with other kids alone. I think I just don't wnat kids but I'm scared that when I get older, I will regret it and wish I had them. Anyone else going through this? My husband says if we don't have kids that it's fine and we'll just enjoy each other but I don't know if he's saying that because I can't give him kids or if he really means it. Should I just wait a few years and then decide? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I NEVER wanted kids. I mean NEVER. When I got PG after 6 years of being on the pill I knew I had to keep him. He was a miracle after all. I was scared the whole time that it was a mistake to keep him since I had never wanted kids. I was a afraid that me being excited about being PG was just hormones or a natural reaction that would pass after the baby was born. My son is the best thing that ever happened to me. He is my life and Joy. My DH and I ended up having 2 more after him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I didn't want kids, I was told that it would be hard for me to have them without miscarrying. when i got prego with DS I wasn't so careful in the beginning (i didn't know) and he was still born 9 months later completely healthy. he was a miracle baby and I love him so much. but I don't think I want anymore honestly.
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I can't say that I've never wanted kids, but I can say that in your shoes, I think I'd wait a while before deciding. I understand, from an observer's level only, the NIGHTMARE that fertility treatments can be. I don't think that path is for every infertile couple. Take care of your SS for now, and after his issues are doing better, consider your options again.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I never wanted kids nearly aborted my son when I found out I was pregnant. My husband never wanted children either so we decided to place him for adoption. The day he was born my husband and I both looked into his little eyes and fell in love with our son. I feel so much guilt over considering abortion and adoption. We had 5 more kids after him and I am a total mommy dork now.lol Sometimes the very thing you think you don't want is exactly what you need.

My sister went through fertility treatments it was very hard on her but after 4 years they had twin boys. She said it was all worth it and like labor she barely remembers the pain and frustration she experienced trying to get pregnant. I would not close the door just yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• oh i never wanted kids. i thought my life would be over and just taking care of some one else for the rest of my life was going to be just crap. then when i found out i was prego i just cryed. then the idea of a baby got in my head after all the damn shopping the baby needed.i still had thoughts about not wanting him. then when he was born it was the most amamzing thing ever. when i look at him now i cant picture life without him
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2010