Puppy!!!

So I just got a 12 week old mini long haired dachshund. She's the cutest thing by the way.. BUT i have two other dogs that both sleep with us.. A regular dachshund and a pekingese. Anyways, the puppy will not sleep unless she's in the bed with us and I probably shouldn't have let the others sleep with us but they have for years so no stopping it now.. Is there any way to fairly make the puppy sleep somewhere else, at least until house trained. I tried a kennel and the bathroom but she screams so loud that me, my husband, or my other dogs sleep!! lol. It's been a long tiem since I have had a puppy and I can't remember how we delt with the last one that we had. Please help me !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pets

• if you are kennel training you need to be consistent with it. Put her in there when your gone and say its bed time or whatever. Don't change the schedule. I have a five month old puppy who loves his kennel all you haveto do is ask if he's tired and he goes and lays down. SO cute. HE'll just go to it whenever he feels the need.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 11:04 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Keep up with the crate training if you have to put the crate at the oppisite end of the house, do it . When i have a dog that barks in the beginning i will put a towel over the front of the crate and that usually does the trick but sometimes i will also turn a radio on in the room where the dog sleeps and that works pretty well also. You need to be consistant. There is nothing wrong with dogs sleeping in the bed with you (mine do) but they have to earn that privledge and the puppy has not. Puppies should not have free run until they are housebroken, have learned their place in the pack and have learned some manners.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I am fostering 3 mini-dachshunds. I got them when they were 8 weeks old and they are now almost a year. I wanted them housebroken before they left. Dachshunds are one of the hardest dogs to housebreak. I have one that is so small and a smooth coat that she uses a litter box due to the cold. I have found that by sleeping with me or my daughter that they wake up and outside they go. I also have 2 labs that are brood bitches so they are very good at teaching. They get cold and like to tunnel or pile on top of each other. I never had any success with a crate with this breed. My labs yes and I endorse crate training. Maybe find something she can tunnel in. I just placed my long hair male with a family and will soon place the wire hair male with his new family. The runt pie-bald female is staying. She is only 6 lbs and cute as a bug. I am a Vet tech so that is why they came to me.
    doll2660

Answer by doll2660 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010