Catholic Parents~How do I talk to my dd about the birds and the bees???

She is wanting to know,and I naturally am not really wanting to have the talk. I need to know how should I go about this? How did YOU go about it or did you???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• you tell her like any other normal person would
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• IDK, I would say that your religion shouldn't impact your telling of factual information, even if you are teaching absitince
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• what does catholic have to do with it. i mean theres only 1 way to tell her...i think...unless there is another way of having sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• teach her what you know-teach her to respect and love herself
    teach her all the time not just one "talk"
    this is an ongoing thing...let her know whe can ALWAYS come to you about anything
    let her know that she is important and that having a boyfriend is not what makes her important...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The reason I asked Catholic parents is because I am rearing my dd w/these particular values. I was wondering if there are any books that I could read on the subject etc? Maybe my question was not that particular.
    I AM going to have the talk but I want it to include the values of being married. Just a bit nervous as I want to do it right. She already knows about the menstral cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I've always been very open and honest, and age appropriate. When my eldest dd was in 5th and 6th grade, she never really wanted to talk much about it, but I told her what she needed to know. Later, I talked to her in more detail about it. I told her what my beliefs were about waiting, etc and that I hope she will wait. However, I also told her to come to me with any questions and also I told her I will not judge her if she did decide to have sex before marriage. I told her what she needed to know to be safe. I can tell her to wait all I want, but in the end it is her choice. I want her to feel comfortable talking to me and not think I will judge her if she chooses to have sex and needs birth control, etc. However, I have also told her that she should respect herself and her body. Anyway, I'm starting the same path with my 11 yr old. She knows what she needs to know. I will continue to talk to her as I have my eldest. I
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• How old is she? We don't believe in having "the talk" we believe it should be a long term open conversation that starts when they are young. My kids are 2 & 3 and already know some of the basics... That boys and girls are different... That we don't let people touch us on our "boy parts" (I don't have girls), and they understand that grown ups kiss because they love each other... At this point it's really basic. But we believe by opening the conversation now, they will grow up being comfortable talking about this stuff and be more open and honest with us. Depending on her age, you may want to start with the basics. If she is older chances are she knows more than you want to think she knows... Bit it's always better to give them the truth upfront than to hide behind the fact that they are young. Because if you don't answer their questions their friends will - which is not good!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The school my eldest dd went to used the New Corinthians Curriculum and we had a book from that. It is a K-8 supplement for religious education and it is designed to help parents and educators in teaching the virtues. I only know that the curriculum is published by the Foundation for the Family, and I don't know if or where you can get it. Idk if that is very helpful, but I also used it as a guide.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• First this shouldn't be a one-time talk - this should be an on-going discussion you have with all your children. Sex is a powerful gift form God and not something we shouldn't be afraid of. And if you don't deal with the topic with your children then you leave a vacuum that the media and friends will fill in. So one thing I would recommend for you is to start to educate yourself - make sure you understand the physical and the spiritual aspects - it'll make disucssions easier now and in the fture. And at the spiritual end, make sure you understand not just the 'what' of the church's teachings on sexuality but the 'why' as well. "Good News about Sex and Marriage" by Christopher West might be a good resoure for you.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I understand you want a catholic point of view- that I cannot give...but so many people think it's like a one time talk and it should be ongoing I think.
    If you want to tell her to wait until marriage that's great- but she needs to know she can come to you about hings or she will hide them. The last thing you want is a kid who is afraid to come to you because of religious beliefs getting in the way if that makes sense. And I see how teaching abstinence is something many moms want - I honestly don't think it works that well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2010