How does a mom not know her child is being abused?

I have been reading about children that were abused and many moms say "Where was the mother?" I have no experience in this and ask the question to you: Does a mother know when her child is being abused?
I know some mothers do not want to admit what is going on, but they still knew. Can a mother truly not know?

LovemyQ

Asked by LovemyQ at 12:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes a mother knows if their child is being abused that's unless shes mental or a drunk or whatever! Any good mother knows and any mother that dose not step up its because shes scared, or denies it. It is a very sad situation! Kids act out when things like this happen they either become very isolated or vice versa their behavior changes majorly. No parent can say that they didn't know it.

Anonymous

• I think it's easy to say where was the mother and how could she not know and I really don't have any answers to those questions, but my question is do we really think there are that many mothers who don't care enough to want to admit what is going on? I don't think so, so I guess that I do think that many mothers don't know.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Mothers do know. No matter how many things are going on in parents life they know even if they don't want to admit it they know if something is going on with their child. If your child is sick you know, if your child is hurt you know, ect you get the pic! Abuse is a serious situation and kids act out in a major way. Kids are all different and will act different but they all act out in ways and you can tell a major change. I don't care what anybody says a mother always knows.

Anonymous

• 1. Not everyone knows what signs to watch for.
    2. Some signs could mean different things.
    3. Some kids respond differently than others.
    4. It's not always obvious.
    5. Sometimes, it's the mom doing the abusing.
    Anonymous