Toddler Problems

My daughter is two years old. She has a cleft palate and some speech problems. But if we can't understand she shows us what she needs or wants.

Now when she gets mad, doesn't get her own way, or is tired she hits, kicks, pinches, bites, ect to us. I live with my parents. We have tried everything to get her to stop and she still doesn't. I need some opinions on what to do. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is she getting any early intervention services? Are you teaching her sign language to cut down on her frustration level?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes she is getting speech theropy. They say she is right on for her age level. She mainly throws her tantrums and hitting spells when she doesn't get her own way or is really tired. And we do some sign language with her.
    ltrader

Answer by ltrader at 12:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• that sounds like a typical 2 year old behavior then! Just pick a method of discipline and be consistant
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Sounds pretty normal with the exception that you guys haven't dfound the discipline that works for her yet.. I know when my son started to hit, we always took it serious, we knew it was out of frustration but grabbed his hand, said NO NO hit and put him in time out since he was 15 months old, I remember days where we did that ALL day but don't give up. Stick to something and have everyone on the same page. Same goes with the biting and pinching. Some people say to pinch or bite back too. I've never had to but my husband did and that stopped our son from biting him right away. with me I took the patient OTHER way out and it took a good 2 months.. I just couldn't bite him lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010