Christians - what do you want done with your body after death?

Here is why I ask. Through out the "dark ages" and the early years of the Christian Church through Europe it was still common for "Pagan" civilizations to hold funeral pyres and burn the bodies of the recent dead. This however was seen as a sinful practice and became punishable by death in many countries because it was an un-Christian practice. Constantine even ordered the deaths of 4500 Druids simply for being present at a cremation.

My question mostly is how is Cremation seen in Christian religions today? I understand that these things happened HUNDREDS of years ago and things have changed. But Religion tends to take a bit longer to evolve than civilizations do. So I'm curious what is seen as okay and what isn't. My uncle just passed and when I said I didn't want a funeral for my self my family FLIPPED because you HAVE to have a funeral burial or God won't take you (they are catholic), so, what is okay? What isn't??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know. I just hope that it doesn't matter! My grandma, a Christian woman, was cremated and had her ashes scattered. Personally, I would like my body to be donated to a medical school to be studied after whatever viable organs and tissue are harvested to help those living who need it.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I was raised Catholic (even though I don't consider myself religious anymore), and my entire extended family is Catholic, too. Granted, we're talking Dutch Catholic, and they're probably a lot more relaxed than "traditional" Catholics, but I know two of my uncles were cremated, and nobody seemed to have a problem with that... They still had a wake and a church service, then afterwards, instead of the procession to the grave yard, we all went to the crematorium.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I don't really care : ) I don't want people to look at my dead body at my funeral though.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• nothing, i will be dead, i cant do anyting..lol, as far as dying, i leave it up to whatever happens. i will be dead, it wont matter.
    Anonymous

• DH and I want to be cremated and turned into diamonds. I do NOT want any kind of viewing of my dead body. That's just not an image of me that I want friends and family to remember.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I don't see any thing wrong with cremation, in my belief we are going to have a new body anyway. My dad past away last Thursday and he wanted to be cremated, we had a viewing on Friday and he was cremated after that, we put some ashes in a small wooden box and buried them by the pond for us to have a place to go and sit by a grave, and then we spread his ashes in the field, because he wanted the bucks to run through them. It was beautiful and we felt so much peace. I have thought about being cremated myself, but I have not made any decision yet.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• cremation, both dh and i. he's undecided on whether to have a 'funeral'; me, if people want to memorialize me, fine...i just see no point in spending thousands of $ to bury a dead body, or decorate it/chapel/etc with flowers that i can't enjoy. i'd rather they have a party, play 'celebration' (by kool and the gang, for all the youngsters who aren't familiar), and be done with it. i don't like going to gravesites, either, and i wouldn't wish that task on anyone left behind me to feel obliged to 'visit' me. i won't be there.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I am a Christian and I want to be cremated. The thought of being trapped in the ground, eaten by worms, just grosses me out. I'd rather have my ashes spread somewhere - it just seems so much more free, if you kwim. The cost, too, is an issue. I don't want a lot of money spent on me when I go - I don't want a fancy ceremony or a lot of flowers or anything. I've told my husband if he wants to have family get together and say a few words that's fine, but I definitely don't want a viewing or anything. I'd rather it not be made into a huge fuss, though.
    My husband doesn't like the idea of cremation, only because he wants me in the ground beside him, but I don't think he believes it has any bearing on my soul. I know some Christians believe that our actual bodies resurrect and therefore are needed for our next life. But I'm more scientifically minded, and I know our bodies are going to decay or rot either way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• no viewing, nice pic up at the funeral, burn me, put me in a coffe can and take my ashes to my family land where my papa's house is and sprinkle me there
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I also want my body donated to science with organs harvested for whatever can be used to help someone else. When they're done they end up cremating the body and sending the ashes back to the family. I love the idea that perhaps the dr who learned on my rotting body may one day be the dr who saves my grandchilds life or even find a cure in the futher.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010