21 month old w. bad diarhea!

My son has had extremely bad, runny, fowl smelling, yellow diarhea for 5 days now. At first we thought maybe a stomach bug because of unusual clinginess & down time, but 5 days? I bought some silk, soy milk & he hates it, but since lactose intolerance does run in some parts of my family, I thought maybe... but he's been fine with milk and milk based formula since he was born. Any ideas? Should I be calling the doctor?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 12:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Possiblly teething?
    Anonymous

• My DD is 20 months and getting her 2 year molars and has had the runs like that, too for the last few days. My other suggestion would be that he is maybe eating something different. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I always give my son cheese bread and saltines. This usually helps a little. Also no juice and no granola, that really effects him. I mean anything is worth a try.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I'm trying the no juice thing, but he haes the new milk and absolutely refuses plain water. I'm just afraid he isn't getting enough to drink, ya know? He has been eating quite a bit of bread and cheeses also, but isn't helping the diarhea any. I didn't even think of teething!
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 12:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My bet would be it is a virus that's just taking it's time to run its course. Try adding a probiotic into his food or drink. We used a brand called Culturelle. You shoudl be able to buy it at a grocery store or health food store. It comes in capsule form so you can dump it into whatever works for you. Be very selective on what you're feeing him (BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) usually helps. As long as he's still having wet diapers and isn't getting dehydrated, he's probably ok but that's the biggest thing to watch for. Pediatlye can help keep him hydrated. When in doubt, call the doctor's office and ask for their advice.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• BAnanas and call the doctors office. I will pray you both feel better.
    Mintavia

Answer by Mintavia at 2:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010