How to start an at home daycare?

I am trying to find ways to make more money. I am currently substitute teaching, but obviously that isn't cutting it. I need more...and I am not just talking about money. I have thought about running a daycare from my home, but not sure what all I would need to do? I have an 18 month old. I could have kids get on and off the bus for school. The bus comes around 7:30am and drops off around 4pm. So, for those kids they wouldn't be here much. I have no idea how much to charge or anything. I love kids and I have a large house. I would want to start with a few kids and work my way up so that I could get adjusted. I only have a small car, so I would be stuck at home once kids were here. I know in general places go from 6am to 6pm....should i offer breakfast?? i know i would need to do AM snack for all day kids and PM snack for those getting off the bus. I guess any advice would be great!

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work for a child care resource and referral agency. The best place to start is with the agency that services your area, find them at www.childcareaware.org. They will be able to answer any questions you may have about what your state's regulations are, as well as supply and demand in your area, average rates and hours of operation
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Check with your city/county to make sure you're in compliance with all of the codes. Get online and look at your codes for your state and they should have a "manual" of sorts, that have all of the laws about this listed. What state do you live in?
    Anonymous

• Indiana. I know that there are a lot of in home daycare services as well as daycare centers in my area. The school district that I live in though is rural so the centers aren't as easy for kids in this school.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010