Is a termination letter the same as being fired?

If you've been laid off work for one year. Then due to the poor economy your job of a quarter century sends you a termination letter. On the unemployment form do you check yes, I was fired? Is that the same as being fired? Calls to the UEC is a one hour hold. But they're closed today.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes. "Termination" is the elimination of your job. You are no longer employed with that company.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would say that you were laid off, not fired. I'm not sure how unemployment works in your state, but here it is almost impossible to get unemployment checks for being fired.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You weren't fired, you were laid off.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes, your employment was terminated--that means fired. Just a way to put it that it wasn't your fault. A layoff is that you have a possibility of being called back and from what you have said, you don't have that possibility. When you apply for unemployment they will investigate with your employer why your position was terminiated and they will be told that it was due to the economy. I worked for the Unemployment Office in Wisconsin and there is usually NO problem getting unemployment for being fired. There is if you quit--more times than not you won't get unemployment for quitting. For the most accurate information, call your states unemployment office. But from what I know and others that still work for unemployment, you are no longer laid off, your position was terminated. Sorry!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010