Why was God's name, Yahweh or Jehovah taken out of most bibles, or only mentioned once or twice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• And do you know that God's personal name appears in the original Hebrew more often than any other name or any title!

Jesus Christ commisioned his followers to make disciples of people of all nations. When teaching these people, how would it be possible to identify the true God as different from the false gods of the nations? Only by using His personal name, as the Bible itself does. Matt.28:19,20; 1 Cor.8:5,6.

Check out these scriptures (remembering where GOD or LORD appears, the divine name was originally): Exodus 3:15; Isaiah 12:4; Ezekiel 38:17, 23; Malachi 3:16; John 17:26; Acts 15:14.

It's impossible to get fully close to someone whose name you are never told or are not allowed (by whom?) to utter.
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 4:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It depends on the bible you have. Some translations took it out, others didn't. Honestly I can't tell you why, but the one I like to use has it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would guess because the Israelites were forbidden to speak god's name aloud because of the "magic" power it contains.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Because a humble human sinner is not fit to speak/write the "name that is above all names", so many translations don't have Jehovah or Yahweh spelled out. I know of two very religious people (from different religious backgrounds) who never spell out God (they type G-d) and one never even calls Him by name out loud.
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:46 hit the nail on the head. Jewish people do not speak or write G-d's name. In Jewish prayer books, his name is written "yahweh" but pronounced Adonai...the name.
    Anonymous

• Isaiah 42:8 (American Standard Version)

8 I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise unto graven images

If it were wrong to say it, then why would he tell us His name
    Anonymous

• Well, it doesn't appear in the NT because the sacred name (YHWH) isn't used in the NT. There are over 5,000 Greek manuscripts of the New Testament, and not one of them has God's name in either Greek or Hebrew letters. So, there's no textual justification for the use of the name Jehovah in the New Testament.

As for the OT - one thing is that the sacred name is always speculation. In Hebrew it's simply the consonants YHWH - it wasn't until later that they introduced a system of vowel markers and no one says the name out loud so it's only a guess as to how it should be pronouced. So some bibles render the Hebrew name for God as LORD in recognition that we don't really know the original was for sure and of respect for God's name. Some bibles like the New Jerusalem bible render the word Yahweh (mainly because there's no 'J' in Hebrew so Yahweh is considred more accurate than Jehovah).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• erin, so do you think it's disrespectful to call God Jehovah or Yahweh?
    Anonymous

Nope. Nor is it disrepectful to call Him Jesus or the Holy Spirit.  However, I understand and am respectful of people who honor God's name by typing G-d or who avoid using the sacred name.  So I understand referencing the sacred name as LORD in a bible.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Nor is it disrepectful to call Him Jesus or the Holy Spirit.
    ----------------------

why call Him Jesus or Holy spirit? He's God, that's like calling you by your childs name.
    Anonymous