GGGRRRR!!! I want to punch my SIL!

My SIL and I have never really gotten along. Okay, really I don't get along with any of the family I have met. They are drug addicts and drunks, and like it that way. My DH got clean and they blame me because they don't like that he is clean (3 yrs in April)

Anyways, that's not the problem just background. My SIL insits on giving my kids "gifts" every time she sees them. Which isn't in itself a bad thing. But she buys them second hand trash. Now, I don't mind if my kids have second hand stuff, that's fine. But she gives them stuff that is literally trash. They are broken and dirty... Last night she gave ONE of my kids a half deflated mylar Mickey Mouse balloon and half the face is worn off. Plus, she only gives them ONE - I have TWO boys... She gives the "good stuff" to my oldest and gives the my little one stuff her kid already broke... My DH sees it as sweet... & I'm the bad guy because I take the stuff later - It's trash!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would throw the stuff in the trash too. My mom used to give my kid little trashy toys and clothes. I thanked her and then threw it in the trash.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Lol. Gotta love the in-laws! (I love mine, too! ;) I literally get sick to my stomach when I have to be around mine and a close friend told me "Try and get over it. They will always be his family." Sigh. She is right. I have a lot of work to do on my part, too. Anyway, if his family is drug addicts they will never know the trash is missing. You don't know where that stuff has been! If it's in good condition, I would Lysol the heck out of it to make my husband happy. But if it's broken, it's trash. Tell him, honey trash is trash. Who can argue with that? Plus if it's already broken it could possibly harm your child, right? And your husband could agree that that's a bad thing. :)
    ChereseB

Answer by ChereseB at 1:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yeah, I'd trash it too. I dont even let my kids keep the toys form kid meals from fast food places after the day they get it. It just clutters up their toy boxes.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 1:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Is there a chance that SIL just isn't "all there"? If her intentions are true, then it's a great opportunity to teach your kids about tolerance and understanding and the real meaning behind the phrase "it's not the gift, it's the intentions".
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2010