when do you introduce food to baby?

When is a good time to start feeding a baby food? How did you intro food (bottle, spoon?) Did you use cereal, baby food, ect?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 1:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I've heard six months is typical, but I know people who started at 4 just because their baby's were interested, or they wanted them to sleep longer at night. You could start with cereal or baby food. The best babyfood is the one you can make at home and you know what's going in it. A lot of moms I know started with veggies because they wanted to delay sweets. I think that's maybe so the baby doesn't develope a sweet tooth and not like veggies? I haven't looked into it much, my baby's just 4 months and happy with the boob!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I'm waiting until at least 6 months and possibly a few weeks later. I'm waiting for her to act really interested when we are eating. I'll then start out with avocado or sweet potato mashed up and given with a spoon.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• IMO, no sooner then 6 mos. Either with a spoon, or finger foods. Never in a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months, then into solids with a spoon. The only thing to go into a bottle is breastmilk or formula. I have always started my kids on soft bits of banana, soft cooked sweet potato, fruit and rice cereal.

Lot of people will claim that starting solids and/or cereal will help baby sleep longer at night, several studies show that this is NOT true!! It certainly has not been true in my house!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have 2 children. Both kids were put on cereal at 2 weeks old due to reflux. I started both with the cereal in the bottle. This did not hurt them at all. Both were given cereal with an oatmeal consistency and with a spoon at 2 months. Both of my children had very healthy appetites and the formula just wasn't fulfilling them. Most doctors don't want you to feed your child until 4 to 6 months. This is perfectly fine. I personally don't see any thing wrong with giving them solids at an earlier age. Discuss with your doctor and as my grand mother and mother say, "go with your gut."
    Anonymous