At what age will you let your kids start driving, or what age were you when you started driving?

My daughter turned 14 @ the end of Dec. We might be taking her to get her permit today. She's been looking forward to being able to drive for atleast 6 months, and she wants to beat all her cousin's behind the wheel.
I had a nightmare last night that every time she touched the gas peddle she drove into snow banks.
Any advice? BTW, we live in Ak so she'll be learning to drive on ice and snow.

Lornamay

Asked by Lornamay at 1:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• All three of them started driving with a restricted permit at 15, and all three got the regular permit the same day they turned 16, I did the same thing.

Answer by older at 1:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I got my learners at 15 which was the legal limit. I started driving though at 14, learning to drive a stick. I got my full license at 16. My oldest son has driven Gramps' truck on the farm and he's 11, but he'll get his learners at 15 and then his license at 16. And yes, in MB we have ice and snow, he'll just have to learn how do deal with it like the rest of us did/do.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• They got their permits as soon as they were legal to do so. They both had their licenses on the first day elibgible to take the test. My youngest though learned to drive long before he got his permit.. When he was 13 my hub taught him how to drive a standard. He never drove on city streets but alwasy on private property. At 18 when he was cleared to drive the city's 5 ton brush truck for the fire dept.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• 15.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• 15 1/2 for permit then license at 16 but only if he has a B average or better. I am NOT paying the extra insurance if he can't keep the grades up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i was 16 for permit and license. my kids will all be 16.
    ashmomoftwins

Answer by ashmomoftwins at 3:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Here the legal age in our state for a permit is 15 1/2 but quite frankly that is way too young to hubby and I. Our house rule was that 1/2 way through their 10th grade year they could get their temps and then if, and only if, they had a job the summer before their 11th grade year could they get their license. Even with just driving our car they had to be on our insurance and that meant being able to pay for that insurance. Our older 2 were both 19 and out of our house before they got their licenses....1 because he just plain refused to get a job until a month before he graduated and the other because he didn't meet our grade requirement (3.0 or better). Our younger 2 were both 2 weeks from starting the 11th grade (they got them the same day) & 1 was 17 and the other was 16 (turned 17 and 18 in the 11th grade). They were 17 and 18 when they got their 1st cars as well.

Hubby, btw, was 16 and I was 30 when we got our licenses.
    Anonymous

• Id like to hold off until 17... I want her to have at least a year under her belt before we send her off to college. But Im in no rush to have her get her licence.
    Anonymous

• Mine have to wait until 17, out here once they are 17 they can go in take the written and then walk out and take the driving portion of the test. Before that they have to take driver ed and get a permit etc,..

I strongly believe children are not old enough to drive before that, they the lack maturity needed to maintain something that could possibly become a lethal weapon. I am jsut not willing to put my kids into that kinda situation before I feel they are ready for it. Look at teen driving statistics, it will make most parents think twice.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Legally 16. However, I don't loan out more than I can afford to lose. So my kids won't be driving my car, other than for short trips, until they're grown and have a job! It costs BIG bucks to add a minor to your auto insurance and I can't afford that. Btw, I was 16 when I got my license but didn't drive until I bought my own car.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 2:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010